chapter 23

When Lucy and Beth left I was with Claire and Riley. Then a book went flying and hit Claire in the face. I look at who threw it and saw it was her son Johnny. "Johnny why did you throw this at me," Claire said. "I hate you, mommy, you're never around always working" he yelled. "But I have to in order to keep you and mom safe," she said to him in a calm voice. "Johnny why did you do that to your mom, I know she is busy but she is here with us," said Sally with a scary look in her eyes. Johnny didn't say sorry and ran away. "Claire takes the day off," I told her "wait what no," she said. "Its an order do it," I told her and walked away. I wanted to go talk to Johnny. I went in the direction he ran off to. I wanted to talk to him and tell him how messed up the world is and that his mom isn't always going to be there but she will try her best to keep him safe from anything and everything that wants to hurt him.

I find him on the second floor in a room. We hadn't touched the other floor of the school because we didn't have a lot of people yet but soon we would have to but we also had the high school that is connected to it. I made my way to him and sat down next to him. "What do you want," Johnny said in a mad voice. I thought it was cute. "I know you're mad at your mom right now but she is trying her best," I told him. "Well her best isn't good I want to be with her," said Johnny. "I know you do kid but the world is different now. Remember how I find you and your other mom and how you had to hide and stuff like that" he nodded as I continue "well there are some bad people out there and monster that want to hurt you and everyone here and your mom job to help me protect you" I said hoping he would understand. "Well it still sucks," he said with a pout. "I know buddy but guess what," I said to him/ "what?" she asks "since I am the leader I told gave her the day off so she can be with you," I said to him. At that moment I didn't think he could be any happier than he was right now. I just told him, he could be with both of his moms and yell thank you and hug me. I laugh as he ran out of the room to spend the day with his parents. It felt good making the kid smile. When I first met him he was quiet but then started to slowly open up even if it was a little bit at a time.

I went back downstairs and I saw a happy Johnny hanging off of his mother's arms. I smile at Claire and she mouthed 'thank you'. She didn't have to say it because I would have done it anyway. I would have done it for anything who had a kid here but then again a lot of these kids didn't have anyone to lean on. They lost a lot of things but yet they still find a way to laugh and smile. I wish I could be like that but I can't because I was the leader. There are about right kids here and two of them had families. I mean Johnny had his moms and Tabi had Riley and me. These kids didn't have anyone beside Tommy and his sister. I wanted to do something for them but I didn't know what. As I was walking down I made a mental list of everyone that was here. This list was long and it had close to fifty or so people on it. At first, it was just me, then Jade than the brothers, then more and more just came along.

It went from one to about forty people in a matter of months. I wanted this to be like a family for those who lost theirs or having found them or to send a message to those on the wall outside that whoever they thought was gone is alive and well. I needed to find a way to make this happen. This was not only for me but for those who needed to send some kind of sign. I needed to talk to Ken and Lucy about this the time we all meet and ask them what they think. I think out of the three settlements I had the most people. Which meet someone might have family still lost in the city or living in the other places. I was thinking about starting a wall with names and picture when I was pulled from my thoughts. Tommy ran into my leg and fall.

"Hey slow down little guy," I said pick him up. "But Benny was chasing after me we are playing tag," he said was joy. I laugh at him and put him back down. "But now you're it" he yells at me running away. "But I'm not Playing" I yell back. I laugh when I saw Benny and went after him. He yells and started to run away. But his little legs didn't get him far. "you're it" I said picking him up. "No fair" he whines and I just laugh. I put him down and walked to the office to come up with some plans to upgrade the wall and the watchtowers. I could add more because we only have four. As I was working I notice that Cameron came in. "what up shorty" I said to her. "Hey you're short too," she said. "But I'm taller than you so what's up shorty," I ask again. "Nothing I just wanted to see what you were doing," she said to me. "Well, I am the leader so I have a lot of work to do about send people out and building up this place to be safer for us to live in," I told her. She nodded and place herself in my lap. I just smile at her and continue to work.