52.Drift

Chapter 52.

.

"We're on route to the ER with a labor, 36 weeks." Kelly said into the radio. "Mother's pushing and bleeding, baby is in distress. We'll need a doctor on standby..."

"Just keep lookin at me!" Elliot said. He held her head in his lap as they rushed to the hospital, running his fingers slowly through her hair to calm her fears but she cried still while Elliot's mind wandered. When he'd found her, she'd obviously been beaten; Elliot could see the bruises starting to develope on her face and there was a trace of blood that came from her nose, scratches on her chest and choke marks on her neck. Who had she been fighting and why was she only in a shirt? this severely torn shirt that barely covered her and that she had nothing on underneath.

As he sat here now, with her in his arms, thankful beyond all else that he'd found her but so fucking angry that this had happened to her again and under his nose! If he hadn't been so upset with her decision to give Serena up, he never would have left for so long that day, never would have...

"El, if i die..."

"You're not going to die!" He said, angry that she would even think it but he couldn't help but think it too. She was beaten, her placenta had ruptured and she was so weak! He hated to even entertain the thought, but, what if?

"Promise me you'll take care of her, that you'll let her know that she's loved!" She cried.

"Listen to me, you are gonna be fine! You're gonna pull through this and you're gonna hold this little girl and tell her and show her all those things yourself! That's what I promise you!"

"I can't feel her." She cried, so tired, through a contraction. She was exhausted and wanted this to be over but saw no end in site.

"Liv, you gotta hold on baby" He said as he caressed her face. "she's gonna be fine, I promise you, you believe me?" He spoke the words to her but inside he was terrified and when he saw that look on her face, the one that made her sit up, and told him that something was happening and in spite of all else, NOW she was in serious pain! "Liv?"

"Something's coming out!" she said, squeezing his hand as she felt it. The baby was coming down from her cervix, forcing its way out and with her eyes shut, crying out as she, against her will began to push while trying to catch a breath.

"Olivia; look at me okay, don't push, you gotta hold on!"

"I can't! ...oh my god, El, she's coming!"

"Liv don't! ...drive faster!" He yelled to the detective as he moved to get between Olivia's legs.

"We're almost there; just five minutes away!" The detective shot back.

"You hear that, Liv? We're just five minutes away!" He said, holding her face and trying to sound calm as he lifted the jacket and was shocked to see so much blood, and even more shocked to see the baby's foot!"Shit!" He said under his breath, scared and unsure of exactly what to do. They were less than five minutes from the hospital, he could try to delay her, try to get her not to push but with her bleeding like this, being in so much pain he wondered if that was the right decision.

"I don't care if we're five seconds away" She screamed. "Elliot...help her!" She pled through her tears. The pain was unreal at this point and she was fighting just to stay conscious. "Please!"

"Oh god! ...okay... We're gonna do this!" He said as he rolled his sleeves. " Kelly, hurry!" He said, catching the man's eyes and with all seriousness. Kelly knew that time was crucial and nodded his understanding, nervously. "Olivia, Baby, push!"