16.Found

***chapter contains rape***

"So he's not who he's pretended to be all these years?"

"I'm afraid not. After talking to NYPD we do have every reason to believe that sheriff Holmes is in fact, Harlan Lewis, wanted in Kentucky for a series of rape/murders" Chief Arlow explained

"And now kidnapping a police sergeant. I never did trust that sonofabitch!" Judge Smythe grumbled.

"We already have enough to haul him in for questioning but we need to be able to search that house. Sergeant Benson got free long enough to call one of her colleagues but then the line went dead after only a minute. We believe that Holmes - Lewis caught her making that call and if she is in that house, we need to get to her"

"God help that poor woman!" he quickly jotted his signature on the warrant and handed it back to the police chief.

"Thank you sir. I just hope it pans out!"

"Shit, if it doesn't, just shoot the bastard!" Smythe joked in all seriousness.

***

At Harlan's home, in the room where he'd held Olivia for the last three months, he'd managed to pull himself across the floor leaving a trail of blood and he now lay propped against the door, pale as a ghost and holding his severed penis in his hand as he called for help.

"Bron..." he said her name partially, barely a whisper before the blood that was filling his chest cavity forced him into another coughing fit as it forced its way out of his mouth and down his chin, the agony of the pain that tore through his chest indescribable but he was dying.

"I'll kill ya, ya useless cunt!" he murmured when his coughing subsided then quickly gave in to unconsciousness again. He'd been lying here like this like this for almost two hours. How he hadn't already bled to death was a mystery but if someone didn't get here soon, it would be lights out for Harlan.

***

Sam sat nervously in the waiting room waiting to hear something about the woman he'd brought in, his mind racing with scenarios of what could have happened to her that drove her out onto the road in a torrential downpour barefoot and wearing nothing but a thin nightgown . If the horrible bruises that covered her face, arms and legs were any indication, he knew that someone had been hurting her but whom? Had she come from the house that sat just off the road? If so, why had nobody come after her? Or had they? What if whoever she had fled from was out there, coming after her but changed their mind when they saw his SUV pull up? What if they had been right there all along, watching from the trees? Four a.m. is very dark outside, someone could have been right there, perfectly obscured in the darkness.

"But it doesn't make sense" he said to himself "The sheriff's house is just off that part of the road" and if the woman had come from there wouldn't he had seen her before at some point? The whole town consisted of less than 2500 people and everybody knew everybody but he'd never seen the woman before so where did she come from? And if she had in fact come from Sheriff Holmes's house, why was she there? Why was she so terribly beaten and why had she fainted? Had the sheriff done this to her?

"God, please, let her be alright" Sam prayed then took his phone from his pocket deciding that maybe he should call the police to help this woman.

***

Down the hall in their bedroom, Bronwyn was still fast asleep having been thoroughly sexually satisfied and exhausted by her father/husband. She lay in bed flat on her back, dead to the world and snoring loudly. She never heard Harlan's initial screams when Olivia took his member off, just as she hadn't heard the taps from the bedroom door down the hall as Harlan lay bleeding almost to death and weakly calling for help.