55.Postpartum Blues II

55, let's go!

.

"Mr. Stabler" The doctor said as she opened the door to Olivia's room. Elliot had been there the entire time since Olivia had fainted and they rushed her off to surgery. He'd watched over Serena, praying that Olivia would pull through, scared out of his mind and now hours later, here was the doctor and Elliot prayed it was good news.

"Is she..." He was too scared to even ask.

"She's gonna pull through." When the doctor said that, relief washed over Elliot and tears started flowing as he walked around the room, silently thanking God. "There were small amounts of placenta left in her uterus and it caused a postpartum hemorrhage but the good news is, we opened her up and got it all out. It was touch and go but we stopped the bleeding. They're bringing her down from PACU now; she'll be a little groggy but, she'll be fine!"

.

Upstairs...

"I don't see the point in doing any of this; she's not gonna pull through, I mean look at her!" The young nurse-trainee said as she looked at Bronwyn. "I wonder who split her head open?"

"I don't know" The head nurse lied. She knew how the younger nurses could get about things like this, they spread rumors and she knew that there was another party involved in the mess that Bronwyn made and this party had just given birth. If she could, she wanted to keep this all quiet, so she chose to avoid it. The press, thank god, hadn't gotten wind of the story yet and if she could, she would see to it that it stayed that way. "now let's get this done, we have other patients to tend to."

"Why is there a policeman outside her door? She's handcuffed to the bed!" The younger woman said.

"You can ask her when she's conscious!" The older nurse said, leaving the younger nurse rolling her eyes. She made a mental note to request that the younger nurse be sent to somebody else tomorrow.

.

As Elliot sat in the room watching Olivia and holding her hand, he was so grateful that she'd pulled through. All the time he sat there waiting, every second that turned to minutes that became hours, he thought what if and it frightened him. For instance, what would happen to Serena if Olivia didn't make it? He thanked god again that they wouldn't have to deal with that as Olivia stirred and called out to him. She had woken twice, said a couple of words and immediately she went right back to sleep. This time around he hoped she'd be more lucid.

"El..."

"I'm here!" He said as he kissed her hand.

"El...Serena... She's okay?" She asked, tears in her faint voice.

"She's fine, baby. I promise..." He said as he glanced back at the bassinet momentarily while he got up and poured water for her as she swallowed, her throat feeling so dry, she could barely get words out and was thankful when Elliot brought the straw to her lips. She drank until the water was almost gone and even then she only stopped because of coughing.

"Easy..." He said as he eased her back. She closed her eyes and grimaced from the pain in her abdomen.

"Why does it hurt like this?!" She asked in tears.

"You had surgery...but you're ok now." He told her for the fourth time but this time she actually seemed to be processing it.

"I had...why?"

"Honey, you fainted and you started to bleed. The doctor found placenta left inside you, it's why you had a fever and were so nauseous." He said with tears. Quietly she took her hand from his grasp and caressed his face.