14/08/16

Me and Simon followed Vik and JJ in Simon's car.
We were both shocked into silence, but our hands were connected across the gear stick.
When I looked over, Simon's lip was trembling and his cheeks were wet. Mine were the same.
We pulled up in front of the hospital, still numb to everything around us, as we followed Vik to the small room in the Emergency ward. JJ stayed behind at the car- he said he couldn't handle it again.
We stood by his bedside, watching his pale skin as his chest moved slightly with slow breaths. He would've looked peacefully asleep, if it wasn't for the tangle of wires surrounding him.
'What happened?' Si mumbled.
'He was with Cal... He- He crossed the road, but someone came speeding round the corner. They hit him, drove off.' Vik choked as he spoke. 'Cal tried to push him out the way, but the car still hit him. Cal helped, though. If he hadn't been there, he would be dead.'
Simon sobbed and turned to face away.
I moved over to the boy, leaned down beside him, bent my head by his.
'He's in a coma. Cal's next door. He was hit pretty bad, but he's awake.' Vik explained, his voice cracking.
'Will he be okay?' Si asked through tears, motioning to the boy in the bed.
'They don't know.'
I moved closer until my wet eyelashes brushed his cheek. He was freezing cold, but his skin still felt like skin and his breath was still warm in my ear. I let myself go slightly as the tears ran steadily down my face.
'Wake up, Harry.'

~~