21/09/16

It was around 1am when he fell asleep in the car.
'I don't think I want to go back yet.
Can we drive around a bit?'
I wasn't tired, but he evidently was. He watched me whilst I drove for a bit. I noticed his head facing my direction, and when I looked over, I saw his eyes on mine. I grinned and turned my attention back to the road.
'You're pretty, y'know.' he mumbled.
'And you're gay.'
He laughed at that, and rested his head against his shoulder, cuddling into his own jumper.
I turned the radio down, but not off.
I waited about half an hour, when he was properly asleep, before I pulled over onto the side of the road.
I kept the car running, the gentle hum below creating a rhythm that matched the soothing sight of Simon's chest moving slowly, up and down, up and down.
It was dark, and a streetlight lit the night with a rusty orange glow.
I turned off the lights in the car, and sat looking at him.
He was beautiful.
His dirty blonde hair reflected the light slightly, and his eyelashes brushed the tops of his cheekbones, high and smooth under the glow from outside.
He looked happy. His brow was clear, eyebrows relaxed, and his mouth tilted up in a smile.
The music was soft in the background, and everything seemed so safe.
No one was around. It was just us.
I wanted nothing more than to hold his hand, to pull him close, to stay so tightly curled around him forever- but to wake him would make it obvious I was staring at him.
I smiled, and leaned to press a kiss against his cheek. He smiled in his sleep.
Everything was peaceful.
And then I heard the scream.

~~