23.

Niall's POV

"Be careful tonight, Ni," Jade murmured, flashing me a considerably worried glance as she finished applying her makeup.

"Remind me again...why are you even going with me?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow as she turned away from the mirror to look at me.

The answer was pretty obvious. She was most likely going to insist that I couldn't be trusted on my own, yet I knew she was using this as an excuse to see Perrie again. The two had been texting almost nonstop but the actual face to face interactions were kept to a minimum, most likely because Jade was much too nervous for it. 

"Because it seems like I'm the only person that keeps you from doing something stupid at parties," she shrugged, crossing her arms over her chest.

"This coming from the person who I found drunkenly making out with another woman last time she went to a party with me," I added, causing her to scoff.

"There's nothing wrong with that, Niall. At least I could walk afterwards," she grinned.

"I still wish you wouldn't come," I sighed, pushing her previous comment away due to the fact that I had no idea how to reply to it. 

"And I wish that you would take your head out of your arse long enough to realise that you and Harry like each other. I guess that people don't always get what they want," she smiled innocently, messing up my hair as she walked past.

"Jade," I whined, following behind her, shooting daggers at her exposed back, the tattoo pretty much glaring at me against the tan skin.

"It was going to get messed up anyways, I'm just saving Harry the trouble by doing it myself," she turned around to look at me, probably sensing the look I was giving her.

"Does everything have to be about mine and Harry's virtually non-existent love life?" I asked.

"Until you stop acting like you're still in the closet, yes it does," she replied.

"Whatever," I groaned, giving up on trying to change the subject. I had learned from very early on that Jade was incredibly stubborn. More so than I was, which said a lot. 

"Just try to control yourself with the alcohol tonight, Ni. I'm not always going to be around you," she added, giving me a serious look.

"Could have fooled me," I commented. 

She turned to face me, letting out an almost defeated sigh. 

"Fine. I'm worried about you. I know you're all independent and shit but lately things have been rough for you and I'm just trying to make sure that you're okay."

"Wait...you have feelings?" I teased her, causing her to roll my eyes. 

"Then you wonder why I always act like a bitch to you," she huffed. 

"I appreciate it but you don't need to worry. Yeah, my life's kind of a mess but I can handle it," I smiled softly, almost caught of guard my her rare display of affection. 

"We'll see."

~

I wouldn't be able to explain why a lot of teenagers liked partying so much, even though I was pretty much one of them. It was the exact same thing every time, no matter who was hosting it.

Without fail, there would always be nowhere near enough alcohol for the amount of students, always the same, overplayed songs and an abundance of drunk and horny teenagers grinding on each other without another care in the world. I understood that people did like to do things like this but it always made me wonder how no one had grown sick of the same habits by now.