1.

"Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone- we find it with another."

-Thomas Merton

Three years ago:

The smell of buttered popcorn and fried food filled the air and my heart filled with happiness. I looked down at my cotton candy and pulled a piece of the blue fluff off and let it dissolve in my mouth. I don't mind third wheeling normally, but today was supposed to be Steph and I.

"Thank you for letting me tag along Addy," Tom said with a kind smile before wrapping his arm around Steph's waist. I wanted to tell him off for crashing my birthday weekend, but the look Steph was giving me was making my current thoughts soften.

"Of course! You're with Steph, so you're part of the family," I mentally rolled my eyes at my cheesy response, but what else was I supposed to do. He is Steph's boyfriend and she wants me to like him. I keep telling her that he's great, but after two years, I still find him suspicious.

We walk towards the first ride, which of course is two people per car. I stand in line behind Steph and Tom watching them talk, not bothering to include me in their super interesting conversation. I threw away the stick from the cotton candy and pulled out my phone. I guess it will be just you and me Kindle app.

Once we reached the front of the line, I climbed into the seat behind Steph and Tom.

"I love this ride," I said with excitement and they both turned around.

"I'm not that big of a fan. But being this close to Tom makes it a lot better," Steph flirted and I tried to not throw up at how lovey dovey that was.

The ride finished and I found myself clapping for the ride. I was truly proud of it. Once we exited the ride, we walked over to the sky ride and started to wait in line.

"We're going to grab some food. Be back soon," Steph said with urgency and I gave both of them a small smile, watching them disappear into the large crowd.

I continued to read my book, when a rather loud conversation started behind me.

"Come on guys. I'll stay here, it's a lot more fun than being a seventh wheel," I heard a guy say behind me and I pulled my sweater out of my purse.

"Whatever you say man," I slid my sweater on and pulled my phone out. I turned it on and the blank screen made me angry. I turned to put my phone back into my purse and the damn purse slipped from my shoulder.

"Crap," I bent down quickly and started picking up my stuff.

"Here," I looked up quickly and night green eyes met mine. I looked away and stared at his hand. I took the small makeup bag from his hands and picked up my purse.

"Thank you," I said while placing my purse back onto my shoulder.

"Are you here alone?" he asked and I looked up at him quickly.

"No, but I'm third wheeling," he smiled and I found myself doing the same.

"I'm the only single of in my group too," he explained and I looked for Steph again.

"I can't believe she ditched me," I grumbled and started to move out of line.

"Wait! At least ride the sky ride. You waited in line for it," I stopped walking and turned quickly.

"I'm not riding the sky ride alone. That's even sadder than being a third wheel," I argued and he opened the gate.

"I'll go with you, because I don't want to ride alone either," I smiled and followed him over to the seat. He lifted the bar and I sat down quickly.