5.

"Keep your face always towards the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you."

-Walt Whitman

Warm light hit my face and I tried to keep my eyes closed, but my mind was awake. I opened my eyes and waited for my vision to clear. The smell of bacon filled my nose and I lifted my head slowly. I looked around and let confusion cloud my senses.

"Morning," I turned my head and looked into the kitchen. Josh was plating waffles and bacon while looking at me.

"Morning," I said back and pulled the blankets off my lap. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed the coffee pot, "Thanks. You didn't have to make breakfast," I said while stirring sugar and coconut milk into my coffee.

"Do you have work today?" I smeared the waffles with grape jam before answering.

"I don't work on Fridays normally. I have ice skating practice from ten till rink closing," we sat down at the counter and started to eat.

"Cool," we continued to eat in comfortable silence. The stairs creaked behind us and I turned around first.

"Morning. There's waffles and bacon left," I offered and Ran stared at the back of Josh's head.

"Thanks," he walked into the kitchen.

"How did you two meet anyways?" Ran asked and Josh spit his coffee back into his cup.

"We actually met three years ago. Reconnected on my birthday," I rushed out before taking a quick sip of coffee.

"We met on the boardwalk,"Josh continued and Ran turned around quickly.

"You're that Josh?" he asked.

"Yeah," Josh answered back while rubbing the back of his neck.

"She cried for six months because of you. I couldn't get her to leave the house and she didn't even go on a date until the following year, which she came home early from. I can't believe you are giving him another chance Addy!" his outburst didn't surprise me, but I didn't want Josh to hear all of this.

"I gave him a second chance because I trust him. He saved me the night Xander attacked me. He has been there for me everyday since," I stated and Randy leaned over the counter.

"You better not hurt her. You've put her through enough and if I find out you've hurt her again, I will do what I should've done three years ago," Ran threatened.

"I won't hurt her. I just got her back. I'm not risking it again," Josh declared and my heart practically jumped out of my chest.

"Okay," Ran said and continued to eat, "What time do you have practice Addy?"

"Ten. I should leave soon. Blake's car is in the shop, so I'm meeting him there," I answered before standing and placing my plate in the sink.

"Okay. I'm leaving for New York today, so don't throw any wild parties without me," he gave me a side hug and I laughed.

"Oh, you know me, throwing all the crazy parties," I said sarcastically.

"I'll be back in two weeks."

"Text me when you get to the airport and when you land."

"I will," he walked upstairs.

"I'm sorry about Randy. I didn't want him to know," I said and Josh grabbed my hands.

"I deserved it Addy, but I'm not going anywhere this time," he kissed my forehead softly and hugged me tightly, "I'm here for you," he whispered.

"Me too."