9.

"We loved with a love that was more than love."

-Edgar Allan Poe

Two weeks later:

"Are you closing tonight?" Kensie asked and I nodded.

"I'm trying to get out of working Friday nights. Now that I'm prepping for nationals seven days a week, I would like to at least have all of Friday night to rehearse. Josh and I both work six days a week and Friday's he closes early," I explained and she nodded.

"I get it. Honestly, I've been looking for other jobs. I never see Ben anymore and it's affecting us. Plus, I miss my kids," we pick up the leftover food and walk into the elephant enclosure.

"I think you should get another job then. Your family is first," I said and she gave me a hug.

"I'm off. Hopefully you can get out of working Friday night next week," she said before leaving. I washed out the rest of the buckets and walked back to the giraffe enclosure.

"Hi Max," I stroked her neck and fed her some alfalfa.

"She's eating," Doctor Hansen said and I looked at him.

"She hasn't been eating with anyone else?" I asked and he nodded.

"I'll switch around your schedule, so you can be here for her main meals."

"I actually was going to talk to you about not working Friday nights. Are you saying that I would be switched to eight to five?" he nodded.

"I need you to be with her for all the main meals. No other keeper can get her to eat."

"Is this for all my shifts?"

"Yes," he answered and then looked at Dante, "She's going to be okay buddy," he picked up his medical bag and looked at me, "Why are you still here? New schedule is effective now," I smiled and touched Max's neck again.

"Thank you."

"Of course. Have a good night," he said and I walked back to the break room. I jumped into the shower and became lost in thought. After combing my hair and brushing my teeth, I called Josh.

"Hey Addy. You're not off for another three hours."

"Mike changed my schedule and I'm officially working an eight to five shifts starting today," I said with excitement.

"That's great babe," he said and I froze.

"Babe?"

"I'm sorry that slipped. That shouldn't have happened. I'm sorry Addy," he rambled.

"It's okay Josh. I'm headed out now. Meet at my house?"

"Sounds good. I'll see you soon. Bye."

"Bye Josh," I hung up and picked up my bag.

I unlocked my front door and saw a note taped to the coffee table.

Addy,

At Steph's tonight. Tom came home last night and she wants me to stay and make sure he doesn't come in again. Anyways, I love you and I'll see you tomorrow.

Randy

I crumpled the note and threw it away. I'm glad he is there for her.

"Hey Addy," I looked up and smiled at Josh.

"Randy is at Steph's tonight," I said before kissing him.

"Great! I bought some groceries to make dinner," he set the bags on the counter and I walked over to him.