15.

"A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you."

- Elbert Hubbard

August:

Josh was washing dishes in the sink and I leaned against the doorway. Having him here this past month has been making recovery easier. I know I won't be able to stay cooped up in this house for much longer and I know Josh would be against me going back to work. I miss my coworkers and Max. I worry about her. She is my other baby. My heart tightened at the thought of losing her too and my eyes burned with tears.

"Are you okay?" I looked up at Josh and he was drying off his hands.

"I'm okay. Just thinking about everything that has happened and how Max is doing. I'm worried about her, Josh."

"I know you are and I know you want to go back to work, but I'm just worried about your mental health."

"I know. I love you for worrying, but I have animals I have to take care of and if I take any longer off, Max will stop eating again."

"Okay. If you think you're ready, then call Mike," he wiped off the counter before asking, "How'd you sleep?" he kissed my forehead and pulled me into his chest.

"Better than I have in a while."

"Good. I have to go down to the shop for a couple of hours, but I'll be back for lunch."

"Get what you need to get done. I promise I'm doing better. Go into work and come back when you get everything done. I know there must be piles of paper sitting there."

"You sure?"

"Yes. I'll call you if there is anything I need, okay?"

"Okay," he kissed me quickly and left for work. I signed and my phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out and answered it.

"Hi, Mike."

"How are you feeling?"

"Better. How's Max? I'm worried about her."

"She has her energy back. We are doing an ultrasound today. We think Max is pregnant. I figured I would wait until you come back to work before we name the baby."

"I'll be back in on Monday. I have a list of names already."

"Great. Addy, I want you to know that everyone here is here for you and we want you to feel safe to talk about anything."

"Thank you, Mike."

"Of course. See you Monday."

"See you Monday," I hung up and started to make my breakfast. I sat down on the couch and watched through most of my collection of 80s RomComs. I must've dozed off during Romancing the Stone because I woke up snuggled against Josh's side.

"Hey you," he whispered and I sat up slowly.

"What time is it?"

"Four in the afternoon."

"I needed that nap. How was work?"

"It was good. I finished the paperwork from last month, so I have the weekend off."

"That's great! Oh, I talked to Mike today and I told him I was ready to come back Monday."

"Are you sure you're ready?"

"Yes. I can't just sit here for another month. I need to get back to normal. Well, as normal as possible," he signed and wrapped his arms around me.

"I just want you to be okay."

"I know and I will be. Our loss was hard on both of us and I want to continue our lives together."

"Okay."

"Okay."

***

"Philip."

"No."

"Jack."

"No."

"Oliver."

"No," Mike put down his list and frowned.

"Fine. You pick the name."

"How about Elijah?"

"This is why you name them. Eli and Max. Very cute," he stood up, before putting away the ultrasound equipment.

"Hi, Max. You're going to have a beautiful boy. He is going to be happy and healthy. I promise," she moved down and ate the alfalfa from my hand.

"Hey," I turned and Josh smiled at me.

"How was work?"

"It was good. When are you off?"

"Ten minutes. We just finished the ultrasound. Max is having a boy."

"That's great!"

"I'm going to make sure this one makes it," he hugged me and I felt tears slip down my cheeks.

"She's lucky to have you."

"Do you want to feed her?"

"Sure," I handed him some alfalfa and he lifted it towards Max. She looked at him and then at me.

"It's okay," Max moved her head back to Josh and ate from his hands, "She trusts you. She doesn't eat unless I'm feeding her."

"Are you working this weekend?"

"No. Mike gave me Monday off too. Why?" we walked away from the enclosure and towards the breakroom.

"We should go away this weekend. My friend Carson and his wife, Quinn have a cabin in Big Bear. He offered it up the last time we talked," he laced our fingers and I smiled.

"We could use the break. With everything that has happened, I need a relaxing weekend."

"Great! I'll text him and say we are going to go up this weekend."

"We should invite Ollie and Ian too."

"Absolutely. Ollie has been dying to get to know you better," I grabbed my bag and walked towards the bathrooms.

"I'm going to shower and change. Meet your apartment?"

"Yes. I love you."

"I love you too. I only work a half-day tomorrow, so we can head up there at two."

"Sounds great," he kissed me softly and I smiled against his lips.

"Bye."

"Bye."