8.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

-Mae West

I jumped off the bike and pulled the helmet off.

"Thank you for the ride. I'm sorry that all this has happened," I said and Josh grabbed my hands.

"It's okay Addy. It's horrible that she has to go through this. I can't even imagine being with someone else. She shouldn't have to put up with his unfaithfulness," I smiled and kissed him softly.

"We're still on for tonight though, right?"

"How about you text me if Steph is okay to be left alone? If not, then I'll bring by takeout and we can do a makeup Valentine's Day dinner, okay?" he offered and I pulled him into a hug.

"Thanks," I said into his chest and he pulled away.

"Of course. Now, go and take care of her," he spun me and lightly pushed me towards the door.

"Bye Josh!"

"Bye!" he shouted back before leaving. I turned and opened the door quickly.

"Aunt Addy!" Logan shouted. Running into my legs and hugging me tightly.

"Hi Logan. Where's your Mommy?"

"She's up stairs. Is Mommy okay?" I scrunched my eyebrows together and walked up the stairs.

"She will be okay. Go play in your room and after I talk with your mom, we can bake cookies."

"Yay!" he threw his hands up in the air and ran into his room. I knocked on the bathroom door and heard a groan from the other side.

"Steph it's me," I opened the door and saw her face pressed against the wall.

"Addy," she croaked and I wrapped my arms around her.

"I'm here."

"Why does this keep happening to me?" she asked while crying.

"I don't know."

"I know you hate him. I just can't seem to bring myself to hate him too," she confessed and I pulled away.

"I hate that he keeps hurting you."

"This is my last straw. I'm going to file for full custody," she stated leaning her head on my shoulder.

"I think that is for the best."

"Aren't you and Josh going out tonight for Valentine's Day?" she asked, lifting her head from my shoulder.

"He said to take care of you first. He offered to bring by takeout," she smiled and then looked at me with a serious expression.

"He's a really great guy, Addy. You should go out with him tonight."

"Are you sure?" I asked and she nodded.

"Yes. Go out and then come back tomorrow morning or tonight," she offered and I nodded.

"Okay. I'm not leaving till he gets here and I promised Logan I would bake cookies with him," I helped her stand up and we walked down the stairs.

Once I got her settled on the couch, I walked back up the stairs to get Logan.

"Logan. Cookie time," the door flew open and he ran past me. He rushed down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"What time will Josh be here?" Steph asked.

"I just texted him. He'll be here in thirty minutes. Thirty minutes later, Logan was licking the dough from his hands and I was placing the cookies in the oven.

"Let's wash hands," I said while picking him up and turning on the water.

"Thank you for making cookies with me Aunt Addy," I smiled and set him down to dry his hands.

"Of course buddy. Go sit with your mom and I'll wait for the cookies to be ready," he gave me another hug and ran over to the couch. The front door opened slowly and Josh walked in.

"Hey guys," Josh said and I walked over to him.

"Logan and I made cookies. They should be ready in seven minutes," he nodded and gave me a hug, "Steph, we are going to head out. Text me if you need anything," I said while grabbing my jacket from the coat rack.

"I'll be fine. Have fun," she said and pulled Logan into her lap.

"Let's go," he followed me outside and we walked hand in hand to his bike. We arrived at the restaurant closer to seven and there was a line out the door.

"Dang it. I didn't make a reservation. We are going to be waiting for hours," I stated and Josh wrapped his arms around my waist.

"If only someone called ahead and made one," my mouth dropped and I looked up at him.

"You did?"

"You've had a really bad day and I just wanted to make sure something went right today," he confessed and I gave him a kiss.

"Thank you," I said and we walked into the restaurant.

*******

"That food was amazing," he said with a smile. I grabbed his hand and we walked towards the parking lot.

"Better than Italian."

"Yes," he kissed the side of my head and handed me a helmet, "Where to?" he asked.

"We never finished Mallrats."

"My place it is," he climbed on the bike and I followed, wrapping my arms around his waist.

Josh unlocked the door and headed straight to the fridge. I sat down on the couch and he returned, handing me a beer.

"Thanks," I said before taking a much needed sip. He sat down next to me and I cuddled into his side. He pressed play and I took in this perfect moment.

"I forgot how funny this movie was," I stated while looking up at Josh.

"Yeah. Kevin Smith is a genus," he looked at his watch and sat up, "It's almost eleven. I should take you back to Steph's."

"Let me text her and see how she is doing," I pulled out my and texted her quickly.

Me: Hey. Do you need me to come over tonight?

Steph: No. I'm actually doing okay. I think I'm still in shock, but Logan is making things a lot easier.

Me: I'm glad. Well of course he is.

Steph: I'll see you tomorrow morning.

Me: Goodnight.

Steph: Goodnight.

I looked up from my phone and smiled.

"She is okay tonight. I'm going to go by in the morning."

"I only saw her ex on your birthday. He didn't seem like the most stable guy and that's just with the way he held his liquor."

"He broke up with her on my birthday three years ago. She found out she was pregnant with Logan. He told her to abort the pregnancy or he was going to leave. She chose Logan," I explained and Josh pulled me closer.

"I'm glad he's out of her life then."

"Me too," I yawned and curled up into his side.

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight."