Chapter 8 A Surprise Visitor

It was almost Christmas. Christmas in Nashville was like New Years Eve in New York City. Well, to Hunter and Maisy is was. It was going to be Annabelle's first Christmas and they both wanted everything to be perfect. Hunter had been in the studio a lot making the last finishing touches of his new album, so Annabelle had been staying with Maisy quite a bit. Actually, Hunter's house had been quite empty since Halloween night. Usually after a long day at work he would stop by Maisy's house to pick up Annabelle if they weren't with him already, and then he would head back to his place. Ever since their kiss on Halloween night, Hunter has spent every single night at Maisy's.

Maisy had been trying to clean up around the living room that afternoon. She had pulled out a bunch of baby books and stuffed animals, trying to keep Annabelle occupied until Hunter got home. She looked over at Annabelle when she heard a knock on the door.

"I wonder who that could be." Maisy said as she went over to pick up Annabelle. "It couldn't be Daddy, he said he wouldn't be back until around five." She held the infant on her hip as she opened the door.

And there she was, the person Maisy had been hoping would never show up ever again. Haley, Hunter's ex, also the biological mother of Annabelle. Haley's long blonde hair was curved around her face. She wore a red turtleneck, blue jeans, and black boots.

"Maisy, long time no see." Haley said. Her hands were on her hips.

"What are you doing here?" Maisy asked, her grip on Annabelle tightened.

"I came here to see my baby." Haley replied. "And I guess I made perfect timing. Oh my goodness, she has grown so much since the last time I saw her."

"You're not supposed to be here Haley." Maisy said sternly. "You're supposed to be having the time of your life with the guy you fell in love with at the beach, not coming back to ruin Hunter's life."

Maisy made a pouty face. "Awww, since when do you care about Hunter's life?" Haley asked. A smile started to form across her face. "You two are a thing now, aren't you? Oh yeah, I forgot about you telling me that."

Maisy groaned. She didn't understand why Haley had to come back into their lives. She was supposed to be gone for good. And she didn't care about Annabelle anyways. All she cared about was getting money from Hunter.

"Look, are you going to let me come in or not?" Haley asked. She pointed out to the frosted covered yard. "Its freezing out here. Come on Maisy, this isn't funny."

"Alright, but you can only stay for a few minutes." Maisy said as she stood aside of the doorway, letting Haley come in. "Hunter's going to be here at five, and I'm sure he won't be happy to see you here."

Haley let out an echoing laugh.

"Oh Maisy, do you really think Hunter is going to stay with you once he realizes I am back?" Haley asked. "Especially since I am ready to be a loving mother? He can't deny me the right of seeing my child."

Haley walked over and tried to touch Annabelle, but Maisy backed up.

"I told you...you could come in, but you can't touch my baby."Maisy exclaimed.

Haley's eyes got big. Maisy really couldn't believe she just called Annabelle her baby. Of course she thought of Annabelle as her own child. She and Hunter basically have been raising her together. And when Annabelle spoke her first word and it decided to be Mommy, and she started referring her to that, then she wouldn't deny it. She loved Annabelle.

"Your baby!" Haley yelled. "Your baby? I carried that...that thing inside me for nine months. I gained forty pounds during that pregnancy. I went through everything to make sure that she was ok."

"You were going to kill her Haley!" Maisy said. She tried her best not to scare Annabelle, who was still in her arms. "You were going to have an abortion. But when I told you that Hunter would be devastated if he found out, you decided not to. You knew he had a following when you slept with him. Haley, you mislead him completely."

Haley looked like she was about to cry. It's not Maisy's fault that she barged in here without a warning. That she showed up on her doorstep without even calling. She knew Haley didn't want Annabelle.

"So, I don't really care about her." Haley said. "But I really wanted to talk to Hunter."

"Hunter doesn't want anything to do with you." Maisy told her. Her jealous side was opening up.

"I know he doesn't, but could you at least tell him I need to talk to him about something?" Haley asked. "Please Maisy, it would really help me out a lot."

Maisy stood silent for a minute and then nodded.

"Ok." Maisy said. "I will mention something to him about it. But you need to go before he gets here. If he sees you here, it will completely upset him. He's stressed enough as it is."

"Thanks doll." Haley said and then she walked out the door.

Haley always did have her way of making entrances and exits. Maisy sighed as she heard the car pull away. She started to sob and held Annabelle tight against her chest.

"Oh sweetie, I don't know what I would have done if she would have taken you." Maisy cried. "It would have killed me."

After she calmed down, she got Annabelle to sleep and put her in the crib. Soon after, she started to cook dinner. She smiled as Hunter walked through the door.

"Hey babe." Hunter said as he slipped his arms around Maisy's waist. He kissed the side of her neck.

"Annabelle is still asleep." Maisy said as she reached over to turn off the stove. "I should probably go wake her so she will sleep later on tonight."

Hunter grabbed Maisy's arm just as she started to walk away.

"Hey, is everything ok?" Hunter asked. He pulled Maisy back closer to him.

Maisy instantly broke down and told him everything about Haley, and about how she wanted to talk to him. He smiled when she told him that she called Annabelle her baby.

"I will get everything sorted out with Haley, you don't have to worry about that." Hunter told her. "She's not going to bother you or Annabelle anymore."

Maisy smiled as she started walking towards the hall.

"And Maisy." Hunter said.

"Yeah?" Maisy asked as she turned back around once again.

"As far as I'm concerned, Annabelle is our baby." Hunter said as he leaned against the counter. "She has been and will always be our little girl."

*ok, so that last line made my heart melt*