Chapter Seven

Ace stood on the back porch leaning over the railing. The sun set behind him, making him appear like a silhouette on a picture perfect background. His hands were raking through his hair causing it to look even messier than normal. He was on the phone.

"Why not?"

A muffle is heard from the other end.

"She's already shown she can do it so why can't I bring her in?"

Bring her in? Bring who in?

Me?

"She needs to start training. Like you said before, it's better to start sooner."

His head falls into his hands, "I get how she may not be ready, but will she really ever be?"

I step closer hoping to hear what is being said on the other side of the line when I slip in a puddle. I let out a small yelp and in seconds Ace is there holding me, preventing me from falling. He props me up, my body instantly going cold with his absence.

"I have to go," He hung up, his eyes dark, "What did you hear?"

"Nothing," I knew he knew I was lying.

"Auden," he took my head in his hands, "What did you hear?"

"Who needs to start training?" I answered his question with a question.

I expected him to brush off the question but his response surprised me.

"You."

I shook my head and took a step back, being careful not to fall, "Where do you want to bring me?"

"I can't tell you that."

I growed frustrated, "Well what can you tell me?!"

He hugged me.

No other response other than his strong arms wrapped around my strong figure. I didn't want him to let go. The warmth that transferred from his body to mine was addicting. I wanted to melt and stay here forever, but I was stronger than that. I needed information.

I pushed him away and grabbed his shoulders and brought him down to my height so we were eye level. It stared him straight in the eyes, "Tell me."

He took a deep breath and his body shook, like he was fighting with himself. He let out a grunt which turned into a scream and soon he collapsed on the deck, his spine curved as his back arched and beads of sweat ran down his pale, pained face. His breathing became erratic. I didn't know what was happening. I didn't know what to do.

"Okay!" He managed to scream out, "You're different, special!"

His body stopped moving and his breathing evened out.

"What do you mean I'm special?" He wasn't making any sense.

He stood on shaky legs and stumbled inside, me trailing on his heels.

"I shouldn't be the one to tell you this."

"Then who should!" This boy was really irritating me.

He stopped abruptly, causing me to run into him. He turned and faced me, avoiding my eyes.

So we were back to this?

His gaze wandered around my pale face, "Three days."

I blinked, "What?"

He sighed, "If you wait three days, I'll tell you."

I knew he wouldn't tell me more so I knew this was my best bet. I nodded, "Fine, three days."

For the next two hours we continued to work on the dance, we had food, decorations and music planned. It was only nine when I began to grow tired.

"Hey," Ace poked my cheek, "Can I ask you something?"

I scoffed, my eyes struggling to stay open, "How about you wait three days, then you can ask."

"I'm serious," he groaned.

"Fine, what," I huffed.

"Why were you late to class today?"

I was bewildered by his out-of-the-blue question, but answered anyway, "I fell."

"No you didn't," He shook his head. He must have seen my expression because he continued, "I watched you get dragged to Ms. Larn's office."

I pulled my legs up and crossed them on the couch and exhaled, "Ms. Larn thought I stole 200 books from the library when really they were getting replaced."

He threw his head back as he laughed, "You? Steal 200 books from the library overnight? No offense but I could run a marathon with you on my back and still win."

I smirked, "Don't get cocky now," I repeated the words from earlier.

He leaned forward, inching closer on the couch, "Do you want to repeat those past events?"

I flinched as I thought about my arm and my hand, by reflex, went to touch it. Ace looked at me with an apologetic look in his eye.

He shook his head out of the I'm sorry zone and went back on topic, "So why would Ms. Larn blame you of all people for the missing books. To be honest, if I was her I would suspect Jack as that seems like a Jack thing to do."

I laughed, "I don't even think Jack knows where the library is," Ace let out a small snort and nodded his head in agreement, "and Ms. Larn has just never liked me so I guess I'm the first person that came to her mind."

Ace became serious, "How could someone not like you, Auden. You're perfect," His mouth closed tight and a blush creeped up onto my cheeks.

Ace came closer and began to play with a piece of my dark brown hair.

I cleared my thought, "Well, thanks but I think it's just her own problem. She blames me for anything she can."

"Tell her to stop."

I brought my hand up to hold his hand that was messing with my hair, "Stop what?"

"Tell her to stop blaming you for everything."

I shook my head and sulked into the couch, "That's not going to do anything."

He stuck out his pinkie, "Just promise. Just look her in the eye and tell her to stop."

I breathed out but linked my pinkie with his, locking it by touching our thumbs, "Promise."

_________________________

A/N

Thank you for reading and as always, don't forget to like, share and vote!

Byeee!