Chapter Twelve

"Auden Pearl Blair!" My mother's voice rang through my ear when I entered the house.

I sulked into the white kitchen, already knowing what this conversation was about, "Look Mom, I'm sorry. I know I forgot-"
"Why didn't you tell me about your boyfriend earlier? I feel like I've been missing out on a part of your life! You must invite him over for your dad and I to meet him. He's attractive right?"

My mouth is open in disbelief. She wasn't mad that I basically went awol for 24 hours? I step forward and lean on the counter not believing my ears, "So you're not mad?"

Her head shook, "Not at all, honey. As long as he's not a murder."

Something she said still bugged me slightly, "Wait, did you say boyfriend?"

A confused look crossed her face, "Yes, of course. It was that nice man that I talked to yesterday on the phone. Ace, was it?"

For some reason, my heart skipped a beat when she thought Ace was my boyfriend, "Why do you think he's my boyfriend?"

Her confusion grew, "Why honey, that's how he introduced himself. I just thought you hadn't told us yet."

My face burned, "I have to go do some homework."

"Okay Auddy, I'll call you when dinner's ready."

I ran upstairs and flopped on my head and stared at the ceiling. I love my mom, I just couldn't talk about Ace anymore as it just reminded me of the events of today. 

My mother was only 19 when she had me and my dad was 23, so they've always been considered 'cool.' My mother, Laney, had no trace of grey's in her deep brown hair, and my dad, Paul, not a greatly defined wrinkle on his forehead. They could have easily been on the front cover of Hot and Young Parents with Graduating Students if it was a real thing.

I groan as I turn over and look at the clock to see it's almost seven and decide I should get some homework done. So I dive into the wonderful world of chemistry.

________________

I slam my hand down on the alarm, hitting the snooze button. I settle back into my pillow, snuggling my face into the cold fabric. My sleep was interrupted when a pillow hit my face.

"Get up, you lazy sleepy head!" My mother's voice rang through my ears.

I groan and put up my hand, "Mom, stop please!"

The hitting stopped, "You have five seconds."

I rub my eyes, "But Mom-"

"Five."

"Don't rush me."

"Four."

My eyes are open and I look at her, "You wouldn't."

"Three," She came closer, her brown hair falling out of its ponytail.

"I'm up! I'm up," I throw the covers off me and goose bumps appear the moment my skin hits the air.

"Two," I scramble to get out onto the floor but my legs get tangled in the covers.

"One," I look up in horror and watched as she descended on me, her hands outspread like claws. I screamed as she tickled me, her hands on the side of my stomach. My laughs and screams got mixed together and my body shook, messing up my hair to an even farther degree.

Suddenly, my dad burst through the door with a terrified look on his face, "What's wrong? What's going on?"

Mom stops and turns to look at him, "Just teaching our daughter a lesson."

He patted her on the back, "That's my wife."

I stare and dropped my jaw, "Is no one is concerned about me?"

They laughed and went to walk out the door, but my mother stopped, "Oh, and Auddy, you have two hours till you need to leave for school."

I nodded and watched them leave. Then when what she said hit me I hit my head, "Two hours! I could have slept longer! Why did my alarm go off then?"

"Sorry Honey, but I changed it so you would never be late," Her voice was quiet and in the distance.

I huff and went to the washroom. Then I started doing my everyday routine of washing my face, brushing my teeth and doing my makeup, which consisted of concealer, eyeliner, mascara and a natural lip colour. After curling my hair I picked my outfit of ripped jeans, black boots and a loose, grey T-shirt.

I smile at my reflection and walk down the stairs, catching the clock to see I have an hour left still. Since I had the time, I decided to make waffles. Waffles are basically little gifts from heaven sent so us humans may be able to experience the amazingness that is waffles. At least that is my take on it.

My dad was sitting at the table, newspaper in one hand and coffee in the other while my mom ate her cereal while on her phone, probably on facebook.

"Auddy, what are you doing?" My dad lowered his paper to look at me.

I did a little dance, "Making heaven."

He chuckled, "Waffles?"

I nodded, "Waffles."

My mother snorted, "You two and your waffles."

I gasped, "Are you saying waffles are not the best thing to happen to mankind?"

She sighed, and brushed her hair out of her face then changed the subject, "So, has Brianna heard from Pierce about college yet?"

I continue to mix the batter, "No, she only heard once but he said then that he wouldn't be able to talk much as he is really busy."

"I always thought you and Pierce would be cute together."

Groaning, I close the waffle iron, "You think I would be cute with anyone, besides, he sees me as a sister."

Her fingers tapped on the table, "That and you already have a boyfriend."

Coffee sprayed across the kitchen, "Boyfriend!" My father's voice was loud and scared. He was always the protective one when it came to boys.

I sighed, "He's not my boyfriend."

"Well that's what he told me on the phone," My mom's face went sad.

"Clearly you misheard."

"I surely did not mishear. I asked who it was, and he said, Ace, Auden's boyfriend."

"Boyfriend!" My father joined in again, his face paled.

The waffles ringed and I pulled them onto the plate, "Don't worry dad, I'm as single as a pringle."

He leaned back in his seat, "Good."

With that the conversation was dead, and I ate my waffles in peace while checking social media. I couldn't help but grow curious as to if Ace had an account, so I searched his name. Nothing. I tried Twitter, nothing. Facebook, nothing. I even checked Google Plus, and still nothing. I finished the last of my waffles as well as my search and walked out the door with my bags, waving goodbye to my parents.