Chapter Nineteen

"Auden! Auden! Where are you?" A voice woke me from my sleep. A headache instantly overtook my brain as I sat up. Looking at the ground I saw a small spot of brown dried blood. Suddenly I heard a creak from my left and I turned to see a small woman in a long grey dress and apron, carrying a large bag.

"You must be so cold. Here, take this," She says in a soft, shaky voice as she struggles through the door. She then hands me a thin blanket and I wrap it around my small body. Next she comes closer and touches my forehead, causing pain to shoot through my body. I would have moved her hand away, but my daze and weak body fought against that urge. "Poor thing," After scrambling through her bag she finds an ice pack and places it on my forehead, "Better?"

I nod and open my dry mouth, causing my lips to crack, "Who are you?" The words making me cough a dry cough.

She smiles and grabs a water bottle, which I gladly chug, the cool liquid washing the pain from inside my throat. She kneels down next to me, "I'm Miss Flanin, but you can just call me Rose."

I look up at her. How could someone who seems so kind be wrapped up in this situation with horrible people. People who lie, deceive and hurt innocent people. "Why are you helping me?"

Once again she smiles, but her eyes show hurt, "He told me to help you and get you everything you need before your visit."

"My visit?"

"Someone you know is here and he thinks it will help motivate you to reach your full potential."

My ears perk up and I'm pulled in two directions. I'm relieved that I'll see someone I know, but upset that they are going to be dragged into this problem. 

"Can you stand please?" I follow orders and she takes out a measuring tape, placing it on different parts of my body.

As she does this I speak, "Rose?"

She looks to me and nods, signalling for me to continue, "Yes Auden?"

"Can you explain all this to me? I know what Ian wants," I stop when I see her body tense at the sound of his name but I shake it off for the moment and continue, "But how am I supposed to help with that?"

She slows down her measuring and straightens her back, the light hitting her head showing off the greys beginning to grow from her scalp, "I can only say so much as I only know so much."

"Anything is better than nothing," I was begging at this point.

Rose took a deep breath, "You're apart of a group of people with special abilities. You have a certain ability that is very valuable to him."

I shook my head, still not able to wrap my pounding head around this information, "Special abilities? Where are they, I mean we, I guess, from?"

"Sadly I don't know, no one knows I think. People just started showing powers. He heard of this, and started an army."

I close my eyes, hoping to calm down my mind in the slightest, "This is crazy."

"The whole world is crazy, you just didn't see it before."

My head turns when I hear her put the tape away and walk to the door, "Wait, I have one more question," When I see her stop and turn I keep speaking, "Your scared of Ian, I can tell as you never said his name. If you are so scared, why don't you leave?"

Another sad smile falls upon her aging face, "He knows a lot, Auden. A lot about me, you and everyone here. By being here, I'm protecting many. Sure I could hide and protect myself, but I can't say the same for the people I know and love. You understand?" I nod. "I'll be back soon, I just need to get some more things."

I smile as I watch her disappear into the hall, leaving me in the near dark.

Speaking to Rose comforted me and made me think some sane people may be here. I tried to stop thinking and rest but my mind kept on bringing up the question about who is here.

Is it my parents? Were they taken on their way home from work, or maybe they got home but only to see a destroyed house and hole in the wall? Did they wonder what happened to their daughter only to then be taken themselves?

What about Brianna? Did they watch me before and see my close friendship with her and see that she would be the perfect motivation?

I put all the people that I care about into trouble. They were just living their lives then I just had to be a 'special.'

Someone is going to be dragged into this, because of me.

After what felt like weeks, I was finally able to leave the confined room. Rose had gotten me with a bunch of guards around her, each wearing black clothing and black glasses.

After winding through hallways, we stopped at a bathroom, where I was told to shower and make myself look presentable with the supplies given. As well as learning that new clothes will be waiting for me inside.

Quickly I showered and put on the tight spandex. After throwing up my hair into a messy ponytail and putting on some of the makeup from the counter, I examined my look. My eyes were dark from the smoky eye I did, trying to hide the bags and redness. The outfit was a tight spandex jumpsuit with long sleeves that was a matte black, the sides shiny showing off my figure.

To be honest I looked great, but I didn't feel great. I was about to see the person I got dragged to this place. I'd much rather stay in this room forever if it meant no harm came to them, but I don't see that as an option.

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts, "You have one minute." A rough familiar voice said.

I take a deep breath and open the door only to have guards grab my arms and lead me down more halls until we stop at the giant metal door. Ten guards step forward and push the door open, sending light onto my face. All the glass was cleaned up and it looked almost the same from when I first saw the room. Though this time, there was a large stage and two chairs across from it. In front of the chair was a stool bolted to the floor with ropes on the floor around it.

The guards push me onto the stage and walk away. I look to the door and see it isn't closed yet. This could be my only chance.

I run to the edge of the stage, pushing through the pain. The guards turn to watch me but don't move to stop me.

One. More. Step.

Just when I'm about to be at the edge I fall back, an invisible field stopping me. Reaching out I feel a wall.

"Force field," I turn to see Ian and Xena walk out of nowhere, "Been working on it for years, brilliant isn't it."

I stand and walk to the center of the stage, never taking my eyes off the lean man.

The two sit in the chairs, "Today we start your training. We will all observe you and, let's say, encourage you to do better. First, telekinesis." Suddenly an apple appears on the ground next to me. I bend down to pick it up and ask what to do but Ian slams his hand on his chair, stopping me, "Not with your hands! Your mind."

"My mind? How do I do that?"

He hit the chair again, "Just do it!"

I gaze at the apple and imagine it floating in the air. I clench my forehead in concentration and focus as hard as I can. I huff in frustration, "I can't!"

He stood, "Then here comes your motivation."

Ian signals to the men. They walk over to the door and come back a few seconds later, holding a man with a solid bag over his head. I watch as he stumbles over and almost cry when the bag is pulled off his head.

His dark hair was unforgetful. His skin was red and bruised, fresh blood dripping down from his ears, the sticky substance wetting his hair that was already soaked in sweat.

The young boy turned to me and tears pooled in his eyes, "Auden?"

"Ace."