Chapter Twenty-Three

Since Ian was distracted he didn't realize that the fog now coated the whole window. The transparent surface was now opaque and more comparable to a wall. The silence grew eerie and a soft ring was heard throughout the air.

For a moment it felt like a movie, like I watching myself and everyone else play certain roles in a scene. I couldn't feel the air around me. I couldn't feel my heart beating out of my chest. I didn't feel anything.

But then, for a sliver of a moment, one emotion trickled inside of me.

Hope.

Unlike the rest of the room, I welcomed the fog. It felt familiar. Safe even.

The silence was interrupted when a guard pushed through the doors, multiple following behind.

"Boss, there isn't just fog. It's them."

I caught a glimpse of Seth as his ears perked up. His lavender eyes flickered to mine. It was like he had spoke to me and I knew what to do.

While Ian was addressing the guards I flung the sitting apple at his temple with just a small movement of my wrist. The red fruit caused him to flinch, his shoulders becoming raised as his ear twitched. 

He turned to face me with a sinister expression, "An apple? Really? I thought you'd be more inventive than that."

For once I wasn't scared, as I knew he was the one who should be scared. Confidence ran through my bloodstream as I spoke, "Maybe, but maybe you should pay more attention to the window."

A look of dread washed over his face as he abruptly turned to face the cement gas. It looked normal, until a tiny crack formed in the center. As his face dropped, more cracks spiraled out like a spiderweb, connecting with each other and new cracks.

Soon the whole window was covered and everyone was silent. If the quiet was an object, not even an axe could cut through it.

It was then the glass shattered, cutting into everyone near. Shouts of panic and fear filled the air.

Seth quickly shielded himself from the shards and ducked his head, using some of the last of his energy to deflect the glass into some other guards. Xena protected herself as well, pressing herself against the wall and having the shards drop harmlessly on the ground.

Ian on the other hand didn't protect himself fast enough. As a result he had a few cuts on his face, causing a small flow of blood to seep in behind his patchy beard.

Thankfully I was able to avoid most of the pieces, only a few nic's were on my body.

After everyone composed themselves, they were silent again, not sure what to do. Like children listening to their teacher, the guards faced Ian with pleading eyes, wanting to know what step to take next.

Ian was the only one that looked ready for action. His eyes were pure blue, the whites, the pupil the whole thing. His teeth hissed and were clenched.

Slowly, he lifted his arm and picked out a piece of glass.

"It's been awhile Ian."

The person I had been longing to see suddenly appeared. He stood tall and strong. His all black attire should cause him to blend in with the other guards, but he was still able to stand out among the flock in a unique way I could not pinpoint.

He smirked as everyone looked at him, watching as all the guards recomposed themselves once again, shocked by his sudden appearance. His chest went back as he let out a small chuckle, "I guess you really missed me, seeing as you had someone pretend to be me. Really I'm honoured." He placed a hand on his chest mockingly.

Ian seemed unmoved by his joke, his eyes returning to normal, "How stupid are you? To come here alone."

Ace's smile grew, "That's where you're wrong." He flung out his arm, grabbing the nearest guard in an invisible chokehold. The guard grabbed at his throat, only to grab air. "I'm not alone at all."

All of a sudden, almost half the guards took off their sunglasses and grabbed the nearest confused person.

"We've been slowly filtering in our guards for days, you're the one that has been too stupid to realize it."

That struck a nerve within Ian, his eyes flashed royal blue and his brows bent in anger. Quickly he acted and before I could move he was behind me, a tight headlock captured my head.

My breathing quickened as I grabbed at his arm, trying to give my throat more room to breath. I tried to move my legs and kick him but I was frozen, frozen in the worse possible moment.

My pulse could be heard from across the room as sweat already gathered at my brow. I blinked hard, trying to hold back tears of fear. Quiet noises of struggle escaped my lips but I soon became silent when I felt a hard object press into my back, a click sounding with it.

I could feel Ian clear his throat behind me, "I'll kill her. Clearly she won't help me, and if I can't have her power, no one does."

I expected Ace to lash out. I expected him to do something, like attack Ian. Or maybe signal for everyone to start fighting. But no. All I got was a small twitch of his eyebrow.

"Do it."

I could feel Ian's grip grow tighter on me.

"Kill her. It was my job to keep her power safe from you. Not her. If that means she dies along with it, that's fine with me."

It was then I felt like a thousand weights were placed on my heart, compressing the fragile organ. My stomach grew sick and twisted as my head began to pound, black forming in my vision as a ringing sound began in my ears. How could I be this disposable to everyone? Do they only see my power? I thought Ace... I thought he... I thought I . . . 

Whatever I thought, it was a lie. I know that now.

"I never thought I'd see the day Ace Blanwell become heartless, you're a lot more like me than you think."

Ace's eyes squinted, "Wrong again." Quickly, Ace's hand clenched into a fist and it was then I realised he still had grip on the guard. With a loud snap, the guard's neck was broken. He was then dropped onto the floor like a ragdoll, no life left in him.

The action sent everyone into fight mode. A few of the men with Ace were able to quickly apprehend the ones they were previously holding. Others, not as much so. More people, these ones wearing white, ran in through the broken window and swiftly integrated themselves into the battle. The two colours mixed together like a checker board.

Ian let go of my neck to then grab my wrists, forcing them behind my back. He pushed me to the back of the stage and flipped me around so I was facing him. Right away he shoved me into the wall, causing me to develop whiplash in the process.

He pulled out a shiny grey object from behind his back and aimed it at me, "Should've cooperated."

___________________________

A/N 

Sooooooo it's been awhile.

I'm sorry but I have been extremely busy lately as school started at the beginning of the month and I have volleyball every single day.

I'll try my best to at least update every month and a half, frankly that's all my schedule is allowing at the moment.

And just saying, but I'd feel a little bit more motivated if you guys shared my storyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Jk thats to pushy

But like actually please

Anyways

Thanks for reading, don't forget to vote and share!

Word count- Over 1200