Chapter Twenty-Four

The trigger sounded and the world went into slow motion. A sharp pain erupted in my left side as I screamed and fell back. I closed my eyes and waited to make contact with the ground, but it never happened. My eyes flew open as I saw the bullet flying out of my body and towards Ian. I sprang forward with the motion of the bullet and coughed, watching as the bullet made contact with Ian's leg.

Ian gasped and collapsed to the ground, gripping his leg. He called for help but everyone was too busy fighting their own battles to help their leader.

I squeezed my eyes together not understanding what just happened.

Then I saw him.

Seth had gathered just enough strength to stand up and divert the bullet back into Ian. Now he lay back on the ground, half propped up on the stage, his body seemingly limp. But a soft hiccup caused his body to jump and show a small sign of life.

I stood up, holding my side while trying to stop the blood from escaping. Once I made my way to him. I placed a hand on his shoulder. He jumped up and soon relaxed when he saw it was just me.

He croaked out quiet words, "You have to run."

I shook my head, "Right now you're the only one I trust, so you're coming with me no matter what." I gently grab his right arm with my left, my other hand still holding my side. Slowly I helped him up.

For a moment I worried that someone would stop us, but everyone looked so involved with fighting each other no one even gave us a second glance. I caught sight of Ace, who was taking on three men at once, fighting two in hand to hand combat, the third held captive by his mind.

I shook the cold feeling that overcame me and focused my attention on the struggling boy.

Accidently I touched one of his cuts, causing him to grit his teeth and tears to come to his eyes, "Auden, I can't. Just go."

A thought placed itself in my mind, "No, I'm not leaving you." I let go of my side and stretched out both my hands to him, all my focus was on him. Around me was only grey clouds; covering the mess; creating itself around me.

Just like an apple. Just like a chair. Just a little bigger.

Slowly but surely, Seth's face lit up. Even though I couldn't entirely lift him, I was still able to lift most of his weight to make it easier for him to walk.

Walking as close to each other as possible, we walked towards the giant door.

The door. That damned door.

"Seth," A cold voice spoke behind us.

Xena stood, a small cut on her cheek, and her pony tail with only a few pieces coming out. For once she didn't look stone cold, instead her eyes were slightly glossed over.

Seth and I stared at her for a moment, not sure what she would do.

When she brought up her arms, I flinched instinctively.

All I heard was a small groan of the door over the screams and yells coming from the battlefield.

She started towards the door, "Come on, let's get you guys out of here."

She ran and Seth and I tried our best to not lag too far behind. The shock from the fact that Xena didn't just throw me against a wall then and there confused me. But what was even more concerning was the fact that she was now helping us. I didn't know why she was helping us. To be honest I thought it was probably a trick. Maybe she was leading us to our doom.

But Seth and I were too weak to move around alone, we needed her in this moment.

As we ran, Xena would throw guards running in the halls out of our way, as well as moving doors open so we wouldn't need to lose our own momentum.

My side hurt. My head hurt. My legs and feet hurt. But I pushed through, knowing that if I stopped, Seth would too and we could be caught by the guards scrambling in the halls.

Eventually we stopped outside a steel door in a part of the building I had never seen before. She put up one finger and signaled us to be quiet as she checked behind the door.

A look of realization crosses Seth's face like he now knew where we were, "Xena, we can't."

Xena turned sharply to him, "Yes, you can, and you are. Everything here has gone to complete shit, Ian's going to get irrational, and you can't be here for that."

I perked up, "You? You mean us."

She shifted her focus to me, "I'm not going with you."

Xena turned to peek through the door again but Seth grabbed her arm, "What do you mean? I'm not leaving without my sister."

For the first time, Xena smiled, a genuine smile; one with hurt plastered behind it, "I let you get hurt Seth, for no good reason. The least I can do is work inside, try to warn you guys when I can." She turned to me, "Blair, you can't just pretend this didn't happen, you have to fight, you have to train. You have to fight against Ian. Even without you I know he has a plan that could cost millions of lives."

My face paled but I nodded.

She shook her head though, "No I need you to promise to me. To many bad things have happened already." Her voice cracked at the end.

I nodded again, "I promise."

The girl nodded with me, "Okay, I only see around four guards in there right now. You two need to sneak past the first few vehicles and go to the one closest to the garage door. I'll open the garage door and fight my way out. You must drive. Drive as far as you can get from here. Get lost, that's the only way you can lose anyone if they follow you. I'll find a way to contact you when the time is right. Ready?"

Seth grabbed Xena's arm, "What if they figured out you helped us."

A tear rolled down her cheek as well as Seth's. Her chest shook with silent sobs as she spoke, "Whatever they do, I deserve it. I deserve it for all the times I stood on the side and watched them torture you."

Seth went to speak again but she stopped him, "I love you, Seth. Be safe."

He held back whatever he wanted to say, and traded them for 4 words of much greater meaning, "I love you too."

For a moment they looked at each other, sharing a mutual understanding of what needed to be done.

Just as suddenly as it appeared, the hard look that I thought was cemented in her eyes returned, and Xena was focused again on the plan.

"Let's do this, just wait for a time that they are distracted to go."

We nodded together. She stopped tall and proud, fixed her clothes, and after one last look, she entered the room.

--------------------------

HAPPY NEW YEAR

hope you enjoyed this chapter and I promise to get more out in a short span of time, I have 4 chapters lined up ready to go so hopefully my busy schedule won't get in the way

Byeee

Please comment, vote and share!