Chapter Seventeen

The Halford building used to be buzzing with business. The structure was isolated by trees, right next to the Fone lake. Twenty years ago, people would come from all around the state just to even look at the scene. The three story had three different parts. A cafe, known for the famous muffins; a living space, where the owners lived; and a floor no one dared to enter, the reason never known. The red bricks gave it a vintage, rustic vibe and the wooden boardwalk was a place many marriages took place with the sunset in the background. Greenery surrounded the place, like the frame around the picture. Overall, the location is beautiful.

Or rather, it was beautiful.

Twenty years of abandonment can take its toll on a brick building. Moss and branches held the building like a cage. The red bricks have dirtied up to a light brown and the lake was overgrown with cattails. Windows were cracked and lined with spiderwebs. The scene would be horrible if not for the fact that the lake was untouched; the water was still a light blue that would be alit with glitter when the sun hit it.

Xena tapped her long pointed fingernails on the leather seat of the large van, "This ride would have been a lot more bearable if we could listen have listened to music." She leaned against the window, hitting her head in the process.

Seth groaned, "Stop complaining."

"What if I don't want to stop." The two exchanged evil glances and rolled their eyes in sync.

The moment the van stopped Xena whipped open the door, shining light straight into my eyes. She looked at me irritated, "Well? Are you going to get out?"

I quickly nodded my head and scrambled out. It was a struggle as Seth had grabbed a rope from my garage to tie my hands together. When Xena told Seth she forgot rope, he was livid.

"What do you mean you forgot the rope?"

Xena fell on the couch, clearly uninterested, "I mean just that, I forgot the rope."

Seth stocked toward her, his nostrils flared, reminding me of when Ms Larn was accusing me of stealing a bunch of books. "How are you going to explain to Ian that the girl got away because you forgot a rope!"

The purple-haired girl sat still, unamused, "Like you've never messed up and forgot a rope."

"I have never forgotten a rope because it is a stinken rope! A vital necessity."

She pouted a fake pout, "Aww, little Seth won't swear."

"Shut up."

She persisted, "Just one word. Come on Seth."

He looked down his head twitching and hands clenched in fists as she continued to taunt him. With every word she spoke his ear would flinch, like her words were literal swords. When he finally looked up his eyes shown bright and glowed a brilliant purple, "I don't think I need words." His hand flung up and her taunts were cut off. She grabbed at her throat like Mr. Dalagon had with Ace. Seth was set in pure concentration, not moving as a vein popped out of his forhead due to his strain on keeping control.

Xena struggled and kicked as she was brought into the air by an invisible fear.

"Don't talk down to me."

She nodded, probably shocked her brother would be capable of doing this. Seth unclenched his fist and let her down. The moment was short.

The moment her feet hit the floor and she breathed out in relief, he flung his hand to the side, sending her into the wall beside me. She came down with a grimace, leaving a dent in the wall  where her body impacted.