Chapter Thirteen

Walking into Mr. Dalagon's class was terrifying. I wasn't sure what would happen or if anything would be different. Did he even know that I saw or that I saw? Did he know that I know something is going on?

To be safe I duck my head down as I entered, hoping he would not notice me and forget that I'm even in the class. Brianna walked beside me, clearly confused why I was so nervous.

"Ms. Blair," I let out a breath I was holding when I heard a woman's voice.

I turned to look at Mrs. Kane, her eyes large and doe like. Their natural state. Her blonde hair curled and pulled away from her face. Her outfit as crisp and clean as always. I walk towards the desk after saying goodbye to Brianna, "Hello Mrs. Kane. Where's Mr. Dalagon?"

She smiled, showing her slightly crooked and bleached white teeth, "He had a doctor's appointment today. Even us teachers need to look after our health sometimes."

I force a chuckle, feigning amusement, "So you're our sub for the day?"

Mrs. Kane shook her head, "Oh no, you guys have a student teacher, so I'm just going to be watching over how he does. Try to be easy on him, please?"

My lips curved up, "Of course, Mrs. Kane. What's his name if I may ask?"

"It's Mr. Berkley," Her attention turned to the door behind me, "There he is."

I whip around to see the substitute. He was a tall, lanky man, probably just turned twenty. His suit was messed up and he pulled at his tie, straightening it. His whole composure was one of someone who was late and had to get ready in five minutes. The blonde hair on top of his head was a mess of long string. I watched as he brushed it back and patted it onto his head. He took a deep breath and walked to the front of class.

"Hello class, I'm your sub, Mr. Berkley. Please take your seats," His voice was higher than I thought it would be.

I kept my eyes on him as I walked to my seat at the back. He caught my gaze and gulped, like I was the teacher and he was a student caught cheating during a test. He turned away and I sat in my seat, sulking down hoping he wouldn't look at me again.

"So today we will be continuing your discussion on Romeo and Juliet. Please flip to page fifteen of your booklet and fill out the questions-" His instructions were cut off when the door opened and a tall teen walked in. His hood up and his hair a mess as usual. Mr. Berkley put on a brave face, "Excuse me sir, but would you care to explain why you are disturbing my class?"

He looked up and the teacher paled, "Well, I'm sorry, sir, but I was late, truck ran out of gas. Also, I'm pretty sure this isn't your class, it's Mr. Dalagon's. So with that, why are you here?"

Mrs. Kane had a apologetic look on her face. Most likely it was directed at the substitute.

The lanky man's body shook, "Mr. Dalagon is gone. I'm the substitute, now please sit down and do your work."

Ace studied him, his eyes held the look that he knew the man, but didn't at the same time. His face changed to a smirk, "Nah, I think I'm good with standing," He looked around the room and laughed at the expressions on classmates faces. He stopped at me. His eyes glazed over but he quickly turned back to the blood-boiling teacher. Mr. Berkley's look followed his, but he didn't turn away from me and we were back to be before. Ace clapped his hands, gaining the teacher's attention back, "Stop staring at your students like that. People may get the wrong idea. Wouldn't want that on your final report now would we?"

He turned to face Ace, fear no longer evident on his face, "You must be Ace Blanwell."

Ace was unfazed while the rest of the class grew squirmish, not expecting the teacher to know his name.