36. Yours Sincerely

Davina's POV:

"Kol.." I called, trying to hold back a tear. "I just wanted to help you for once."

"Don't talk."

I sighed, lowering my head. His family, his whole family was in danger now because I didn't decide to destroy the thing sooner. As I was lost in my own sea of thoughts, Kol wrapped his arms around me, forcing my head to rest on his chest. He wasn't... mad?

"Seriously, stop talking Davina. And never say that again. You have been more than a help to me."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "I don't understand. Why aren't you yelling at me? She has a deadly weapon in her hands now because I kept this from you."

"I'm not going to give that satisfaction to anyone, darling. Kendrix wants that, Nicolette wants that. I'm not going to yell or fight you because if they both hadn't come here from the start, none of this would have happened."

I didn't talk, because honestly, he was right. Kol was stroking my hair during his speech as he had placed his cheek on the top of my head. "I was too furious before to notice but, I can't fully be mad at you Davina. And as much as it pains me to say this out loud, I hate it. You know why? Humanity is not my weakness. No. You are my weakness, Davina Claire. You are destroying my vampire side. I know that, someday, you'll be my downfall."

I giggled, closing my eyes. "You are speaking nonsense, Kol. No one can be your downfall. Besides, that would only hurt me more."

He laughed only for a moment and I could easily notice the pain and irony this laugh had. Why was he acting like that? Why was he being so... nice to me like nothing happened? His life was in danger but he didn't seem to care at all.

It seemed like...

Kol Mikealson wasn't afraid of dying.

"Davina?"

I looked up at him, pulling away from my arms.

"It's been so long but... Do you remember the promise we made four months ago?"

I stared down confusedly, glaring at the floor. "The promise..." I muttered, then shooting my head up with a wide smile. "Of course. I'm going to be with you for eternity."

He gave the most genuine smile I had ever received from him as he caressed my cheek, his eyes boring into my mine. "Kol?" I called.

"God, you're stunning. Have I ever told you that?"

I narrowed my brows. What was wrong? It was like he was preparing me and him for something worse, like tomorrow would be the Apocalypse. I managed to give him a confused smile as I tilted my head, placing my hand on his.

"Kol is something wrong that you're not telling me?"

He sighed. Eventually he moved his hand away from my face and ran his fingers through his messy brown hair. "Do you remember the white oak stake? The one I used to kill my brother Finn?"

I nodded.

"Well now it's completely gone. And by that I mean destroyed."

My eyes widened, "Kol are you serious? That's... That's great right? I mean, nothing can kill you now--" I stopped, my lips forming an 'o'. "Oh."

He scoffed, shaking his head. "That was my reaction too. But then I suddenly find out that there is still a piece of white oak lingering around the mansion and the fact that Nik hadn't told us anything is even worse."