Law: So long

Law groaned as he forced himself awake at the annoying beeping coming from his phone. He buried his head deep into the pillow, but the constant rhythm didn't stop, rather increased its volume. After twenty seconds, the alarm went off, and he sighed, trying to get back to sleep. It was Tuesday, and he had work to do at the hospital, but he knew that five minutes couldn't hurt. Five minutes...

Beep, beep, beep, beep... beep, beep, beep, beep...

Growling, he snatched his head away from the white pillow and glared at his phone before tapping the screen in order to shut the alarm up. He sat up and rubbed his sleepy eyes, letting out a deep breath. Looking once again at his phone he felt his heart clench when he saw the date.

October 6th.

Sighing, he got up and started getting dressed for work. All the while, he tried to keep his thoughts apart, but his sleepy mind would not obey him. Another year in this hell of life. How old is he turning again? Ah, yeah, 26. It has been 13 years already...

13 years. You'd say it fast, but it has seemed an eternity. He knew what would happen today. He was expecting some faint congratulations at work, maybe a semi-friendly tap on his shoulder, perhaps not even that. At least he had someone to talk with at work, his friends Shachi and Penguin. But those two behaved as if Law were a kind of leader. Was it friendship or rather admiration? He couldn't know.

And, of course, Law wasn't expecting any call or message from a familiar. Never did he, nor wanted it. Normally, he would just nod when someone deemed necessary wasting three seconds in congratulating him, a 'thank you' would never leave his lips though. So it would be easier, just because he couldn't nod through a phone call.

Besides... he didn't have any family to tell him Happy Birthday, so...

When he got into the kitchen, he glared at the fridge. Sure, he just remembered that there wasn't any rice, so he couldn't have onigiri for breakfast, and he didn't feel like making grilled fish. He sighed. Nice way to start the day. At least he could have breakfast there...

There was a knock on the door, breaking the silence. Law looked at it before shaking his head and going to open. Two cheery grins were what he found, which belonged to his best -and only- friends.

"Happy Birthday, Law-san!" They both chimed together, throwing their fists to the skies. As said, they just got a dry nod from the raven-haired male. 

"We should get going to work." He grunted, taking his bag, mobile and keys, before closing the door behind him. He failed to notice how the pouts that had lingered on their faces changed drastically into mischievous grins.

"By the way, Law-san... (Y/N) is working at the café today, were you planning on having a coffee there?" Law froze on the spot, faintly hearing the snicker that came from both dorks, and clenched his hands, digging the keys into the flesh. Yeah, he wanted. But not only because of the special coffee that was served there.

Excuses. Law didn't mind having something to eat at home. It was just a mere excuse. He wouldn't admit it, but he had developed a tiny crush on the barista girl who worked at The Whipped Cherry, the café just next to the hospital. You were always so nice and sweet to him. Well, to everyone really, and that sometimes got him jealous. Then again, he wouldn't say it out loud.