Sabo: Checkmate

"You're good at this..." Sabo mumbled, scratching his chin as he pondered on his options as he watched the black and white squares of the chessboard. He took a bishop in hopes of having it destroying on of your knights. He smirked as he hit the piece sending it out of the board, but shivered as your smile didn't falter.

"You shouldn't leave your king in such a vulnerable position, Sabo-kun. I thought you knew that." Crap, he thought, seeing how you moved a rook in order to definitely check his king, and grinned widely. "Checkmate."

"Hmm, dammit." He breathed, pressing his cheek against his palm in what looked like bored fashion. "What were we betting again?" Your smirk grew wider as you mimicked his pose.

"We never betted." You sighed, and he flinched at the mischievous look on your eyes. He, however, loved how out-going you had become when around him, although if it meant constant teasing; constant teasing that he would, for sure, give back. "Aren't you tired?"

"What do you mean?" The blond asked, tilting his head in question. You could feel your eyes gleaming at the memory of that time when he saved you, and got angry. Ever since then, you haven't seen him like that since then, but you had to admit that he looked firing hot when he was angered.

More now than before you were curious if he would break into fire since he got his deceased brother's Mera Mera no Mi...

"I'm just asking if you're tired of losing." You cleared your throat as you saw his eyes widen, as well as his pupils turned slightly smaller. You stuck your tongue out. "Just kidding. You're just not used to this kind of games, are you?"

"Are you trying to anger me?" He asked with false sweetness, and you bit your lip in frustration. It wasn't false sweetness, actually. He always reacted like that when you tried to get him angry, which was pretty often.

"Maybe..." You responded mysteriously, which got him rolling his eyes playfully. He leaned over the table in order to look deep into your eyes.

"I should be the one asking if you're tired of this." Shaking your head was everything you did to answer him, and he sighed. "I'm sure you don't want to get me angry."

"Oh, but I do." At that last comment, he closed his eyes as if submerged in deep thought and, perhaps, even frustration; he opened them finally before getting up, a ghost of a smile playing on his lips, without you seeing it.

"We'll see..."

You didn't see Sabo the rest of the day, but you didn't mind actually. You had managed to entertain yourself with Koala, the only one – besides Sabo – able to rise some colors onto your cheeks. 

"So you don't fear the consequences of him getting angry?" She asked, wiggling her thin eyebrows, and you scoffed; seemingly, your confidence had disappeared much sooner that it was expected, and wanted.

"I'm just curious." You mumbled, fidgeting with your fingers as the sight of an infuriated Sabo came to your mind; his sweet and kind side was nice, but if he got really serious, or even annoyed, you were sure he looked gorgeous.