Chapter 01 - Freedom

Thomas's POV

I scoff , waking up as I see Brenda lying beside me , sleeping peacefully. I rolled my back to the other side to see if anyone else is awake and then I hear someone say something.

"Good Mornin' "

Minho. His hands behind his neck , his eyes glued to the ceiling , lying in a bed beside me.

"What're you wondering 'bout?" I ask in a croaky voice.

"Nothing. Just Newt. It's hard for me to live this way. He and Alby were like my brothers , and now see.." He said with a  sarcastic chuckle. "First , Alby sacrificing himself for nothing and Newt abandoning us to feel accepted."

I see a small teardrop dripping down Minho's cheek and that's when I finally realised. This is the first time Minho cried in front of me. Or, in front of anybody I guess. He tries so hard to keep his feelings to himself , hiding them with his sarcastic attitude. This guy suffers a lot from the inside but impressively , lets no one even get a hint of his pain.

" I'm sorry. " I blurt out. Seriously Thomas? You couldn't have said anything better than this? Try to comfort him , you bloody idiot.

"I think about how Newt is these days. I hope he isn't a fully Gone crank by now. I hope he still remembers us." Minho said while his eyes still glued to the ceiling.

That's when a shot of realisation hit me. He doesn't know that Newt is dead. He wasn't even there. I feel sorry for not telling him the truth. But telling him the truth will make it even worse. He will literally break.

" Yeah. Me too " I said. "Hey Minho?"

" What? "

" What do you think happened to WICKED? Do you think they still have some workers alive? Or , are they all finished about this whole 'cure' thing? "

Minho chuckled. "WICKED's shucked up. The workers would have been infected already. But you can never say. Those slintheads are impossible."

"Yeah , they are " I heard someone speak. Brenda.

"Hi. Did you have a nice sleep?" I said as I sat up before planting a kiss on Brenda's cheek.

"How could I not? This is probably the most comfiest bed I slept on after months." Brenda said. Then she made her way to the bathroom.

"I will have a normal life now. Me and Brenda. We could start afresh and forget the past." I whispered to myself. "No more Maze , No more Scorch , No more WICKED."
Well , at least I think it is.

"What the shuck are you talkin' about in such a low voice?" Minho said , eyeing me suspiciously.

"N-Nothing"

"Ooh are you practicing on how to confess your love to Brenda? I can teach you." Minho joked , forming his famous smirk.

"Shut up." I snap. Then I close my eyes.