Enderman

Mitch POV

I laid down in bed, reading The Great Gatsby when I heard a knock on the door. Thinking it was Ray, I placed the book on my side table, leaped up and ran to unlock the front door. Instead of finding my fiancé I came face to face with Adam.

"Hi." He waved.

"What are you doing…?"

"I've been here for the past couple weeks after everyone else left. Haven't you noticed?"

"Uh… no…"

"I want to talk."

"About what?"

"Ray. It seems like she's different."

"Different?"

"Then how she normally is… you know… outspoken, talkative…"

"Why don't you come inside?"

Adam then realized he was still standing in the doorway of the room, "Oh, yeah." He followed me and sat on the living room couch. I remained standing over him.

"Do you want something to eat? Drink?"

"Nah. I'm good."

I nodded and settled on the sofa across from him.

Adam continued, inhaling, "Remember when she used to have those pains? A couple years ago?"

"Yes…"

"They could be back…"

"But I thought they were gone!"

"Mitch, you can't be so sure…"

"Ray would tell me! We're getting married!"

"Mitch…"

I sprung up from the sofa, glaring down at my friend. "Is there anything else that you would like to tell me before you leave?"

"What the heck! You're getting way too overreactive! Calm down!"

"Ugh…" I groaned and drifted back onto the sofa, trying not to catch the eye of Adam, "You're right. I should give it some time…"

"Maybe she needs time too. You know, she's a girl."

"How do you know so much about this?"

"Uh… I had a few girlfriends in my time."

"That's right… Dawn…"

"Please don't mention her."

"Sorry."

"It's fine."

There was an awkward silence until I broke it, "Are you looking for anyone? A girlfriend?"

"No."

"Oh, okay."

Another silence occurred. This time Adam spoke, "How's Jerome been?"

"Good. Carter and him are happy. You could've asked them when we played Catch the Betty."

"I didn't really think about it…" Adam glanced down at his cell phone and jumped up, rushing to the door, "Great! I'm late! Sorry Mitch! I have to go!"

"Yeah. Sure."

"I'll see you later!" Adam yelled, closing the door behind him. I remained on the sofa, staring at the closed door.

*cut

I suppose I had taken a brief nap because when I woke up, Ray was setting the table.

"Hey," I grumbled, reaching my arms to the ceiling.