33) Fake a Smile

His eyes became water with my words.

"That's true, huh? Everybody you have actually cared for. We all left you. Dad. Mum. Me." He looked down.

I nodded. "Jess would always try to cheer me up, and so did your Mum, but it just wasn't the same. You guys all left me."

I looked down at my hands as a tear swept down my face. "But. I just don't get it. You always seem so happy?"

"She's strong, huh?" I heard Nina's voice.

I looked up to see everyone crowding around us. My laptop was on and there was Ariana.

"Ariana. This isn't what it looks like. I don't have any feel-" Nathan started, putting his hands up in defense, leaving me to miss his strong arms around me. It felt cold without his arms. Like I was put back into the cold loneliness again.

"Nathan. Stop." Ariana gave him a stern look.

"But Ariana." Nathan tried again. I got up, wiping another tear before it could slide down my cheek.

"Dani. Stay." Siva gave me a reassuring and kind look, but his words were stern. He blocked the door, so I didn't really have any other choice. I took a seat back next to Nathan, but left the space in between us.

"Nathan. Listen to Ariana." Kelsey pointed to him. Nathan looked at the screen, watching and listening to every word Ariana said. I leaned on the backboard and listened to their conversation. Jay sat next to me, letting me rest my head on his shoulder.

"Nathan. Dani probably had told you she has loved you for as long as she can remember." Ariana raised an eye brow.

"Loved me?" Nathan raised an eye brow.

"Love." Ariana repeated. Nathan looked at me. I covered my face with my hands as I covered myself in Jay.

I knew I couldn't stay like that forever, although I wanted to, but I couldn't. I took my hands away from my face, wiping the tears that slid down my cheeks as my face was hidden.

Nathan was turned back to the laptop.

"She's very strong, Nathan."

"I know she is. But-"

"No, Nathan. You don't" This time it was Ava speaking.

She gave me a smile. I tried to return it, but all I could do was watch.

"Nath. You know Dani has gone through abuse, bullying, but do you actually know everything she goes through?" Tom asked this time, raising an eye brow.

"Yeah. I-I do. I'm her best friend. I know everything."

"You didn't know how she felt." Max raised an eye brow. Nathan looked down sadly.

"Nath." Kelsey started this time. Her voice was calm.

"Dani puts on this smile on her face. Before only you could see through it, but now. Nobody could. She put that smile on her face day in, day out. Do you know how hard it is for her to do that instead of breaking down crying?" Kelsey calmly explained.

"No."

"And babe," Ariana gained Nathan's attention, "she helped us through our problems. When we needed advice. She helped us as a couple, giving us ideas on how to impress each other, when she loved you the whole time."

"She put all of her feelings aside to make you and Ariana happy." Nareesha stated.

"Like I said. She's really strong." Nina smiled at me.

16 years old...

I sat in my tree house. It was empty. Nathan left. My Mum is gone. My dad is at work. I opened my book. I wrote words that were in my head. They turned out to be quotes. (AN: I found these quotes on Tumblr)