~36~ Slapstick

"Putting on the foil coach!" ~ Hanson Brothers

💀💀💀

Monday - October 1st 

So what has happened to us since we last left off on that fateful day in the rain?

Three weeks have flashed by like lightning, since that long kiss in the rain. May is as well as she can be, putting up with me and my myriad of eccentricities. Things between us have reached a strange place of truth and trust. That we both accept as positively interesting, with the emphasis on interestingly positive. That time when you are falling in so hard that you can hardly notice anything else save that other person. Almost as if everyone else in the world is in black and white and only your other half is living in color.

Some aspects of our relationship things are set in stone now, while some still remain unspoken secrets. One of the things that is never spoken of out loud, is that we never have to make plans with each other for lunch. It's just an understood thing now that we will meet at our spot on Devil May Care Island. So nothing more needs to be said other than "meet you alter"

The only reason to talk about what we are doing after school anymore is if May can't meet up. Mostly because she has the odd conflict with Somone's Sister super sinister spirit schedule. Otherwise, it's a given that I will swoop into her theater class at the end and we will fly. If the weather is decent to the park for some wraith walking. If not, then to study buddies to collect on my gigolo gig.

Along with all the other undesirables, Hillside park has become our new refuge. Kids with teams and clubs and after-school activities stay on campus to "activate" and participate. But for everyone else, the place to be is in the park until dark. The blazers and hazers play Frisbee golf down the long central green. The forest bang bunnies scamper about the woods with their playmates looking for a little solitude. So May and I routinely head to the park, to join the ranks of the unwanted to wraith walk with the wind.  

I've learned that May loves the wind, especially the high in the sky wild wind, which she calls windsongs. Those currents you can hear howling high above the trees, but barely feel the rush on your skin. So we walk the trails hand in hand all the way up to our new spot under the shelter of the old oak trees.

And yeah, we hold hands now after school in the park, and sometimes under the table at study buddies. However, we never ever show any intimate affection at school ...it's another unspoken thing.   

I am also starting to understand that May might have actually been right about something else. That whole "small town/big hate" thing she preached at me? Yeah, there might actually be something to that after all? So we have come to an informal accord of sorts, she calls "after dark in the park". In the park, we can be ourselves alone. But everywhere else, we are everyone else's friendly idea of what we should be.

I have never tried to touch her at school, and she has never tried to kiss me. It's an unspoken rule for us, that we wait until we are alone to meld and melt into each other. As it turns out we are both extremely protective people, but for wildly different reasons. For May, she is afraid of what people will say about me kissing a "special girl" like her?

So what am I afraid of? I am afraid, that May will get blood splatter on her outfit. When I kick the brains out of the first person that says something stupid to her about us. You know, because bad blood is so hard to get out.  

Every Friday afternoon during the pep rally we hit the park to talk about the state of us ...weather permitting. As Fridays in San Fall are traditionally for the Big Game under the Friday Night Lights. Cheering on our local gridiron godlings on the way to yet another championship in something sport. Because without the entertainment for the flocks there is nothing for the Raisins of Wrath to do in Valley of Death but breathe and die.