~9~ The Blind Leading the Dumb.

"The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members." ~Mahatma Gandhi  

🙈🙉🙊

As soon as the allegiance oath taking drones to an end, I hover slightly back to give May room to feel her way back down. I notice that she is much smoother going up than down. She does not casually crash down in the desk like I would, but rather feeling her way down again using her Shaolin stick for balance. I wait for her to slowly settled back into her seat, before dropping into my spot. Which of course, is right about when the creepy little midget man pounces right into our personal space.

"Ms. Grimm is everything honky-dory with you?" Or'sir is up behind me like a little evil woodland elf on a mission to snatch a foundling from its crib. 

And seriously who the hell uses "honky-dory" in high school and expects to be taken seriously?

"Just fine thank you, and yourself?" May replies sweetly.

"I just wanted to make sure that you are comfortable in your current seating assignment?" Or'sir pushes his point.

I translate "comfortable" as local code for, next to this piece of garbage that somehow snuck in through the cracks into my domain. Who may or may not be trying to assault you privately, while I am busy with my true calling ...correcting the regionalized grammar errors of the world! While promoting the national motto of the land in Never'cool'astan: "There is power in conformity to the uniformity!"

"Yep, all good so far." May beams up pleasantly. I can tell that she has not yet learned to loathe this vile little creature as I already have come too.

"May I then assume then, that you know this young man next to you? Or is this a relatively new acquaintance? Seeing that the two of you have been chatting continuously all the way thru the mornings important announcements?" Just the way he feels the need to emphasize "seeing" sets my teeth on edge, and makes me want to take his nubby like gnome teeth for a new necklace.

"Why yes, you could say we're mildly acquainted with each other. In fact, he's actually my new swimming coach." May smiles super positively. "I'm thinking of giving the swim team a try this year, so keep your fingers crossed. I guess we'll have to see how it goes."

"I see." His eyes narrow calculating just how badly she is making fun of him at this point. "Well, anytime in the future you are want to relocate seats, please let me know. So I may facilitate a move closer to the front, where I can keep a better eye on you."

May's smile fades to her stone face as the mini man is making talking noises. It strikes me that when May says something slighted like this, she is trying to be funny. But when Or'sir says it? Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's an intentional insult on some level, or at a minimum insensitively insulting. The better I get to know this miserable excuse for a human, the more I am sure it's the former and not the later.

"No thank you, I am perfectly content where I am." May intones evenly, and I can tell that she is not pleased at all by this incursion into her independence.

"As you wish, Miss Grimm. But please keep in mind, that the announcements are important to everyone." He sneers slightly, I am assuming for my benefit.

With his purpose thwarted Or'sir slinks off with a final glare of  "...and mark my words scumbag, I will be keeping an eye on you too. And get a blazing haircut you beach bum scumbag! You look like something the cat dragged in, wrapped in rainbow hippy shit. Do you see an ocean anywhere near this burg, Spicoli? No, you do not! Conform to the uniform!"