~7~ May's Mourning

"The sun sees your body, but the moon sees your truth."  - Anonymous

🌚🌚🌚

Last night May had a bad night because her parents like to fight. The Grimm parents seem to enjoy fighting about three things the most. In no particular order of importance they are: The Money, The Power, and"What to do about May?"

The Grimm parents fight the most often about The Money. Especially what her mother extravagantly spends on expensive and unnecessary things, or throws away on gambling and fortune-tellers. The Grimm mother just loves to hear how her fortunes will change someday. They fight less often about The Power than they used to. Those were old fights that have long lost their importance years ago when her father gave up caring about anything besides making The Money. Another Pyrrhic victory that left her mother alone in her marriage to raise two ungrateful girls in the big Grimm house on the Hill.

But it's the last kind of fight that hurts her the hardest, because they hardly ever really fight about May anymore. Any argument about May is not so much of a disagreement, but just another trigger to fight about The Money. Because both her parents agree that May should probably be sent away to a special place for special people like her. They only disagree as to where that place should be and who should have to pay. Her father wants to send her away to a specialized Blind Boarding school again, where she can be around special people just like her. But her mother has someplace slightly more deadly in mind, a nice hole in the desert outside of Barstow. A grave place on Zyzzyx road, where the Spyder can stop by for a visit on her way to Vegas.

"I still think we should consider sending May away to boarding school again."  The Grimm father has proposed.  

"And who do you think is going to pay for that kind of special school? Certainly not us?" Her mother will counter-attack back and then the real fight began again. Because after all, any argument about May is really just another version of the fight about The Money. And everyone knows her mother loves money more than anything ...maybe even herself?

Near midnight a familiar shadow sneaks up the stairs to her room. The shadow slides through the creaking door and slips under the covers next to her on the bed on the floor. On fight night her shadow always comes crawling in her room, to press up against May and share her soul. She gives the shadow her love, and the shadow loves her back. For they have always loved each other more than any other. For nothing is as powerful as the bond between the sisters in the house filled with horrors. A shadow sister is more than just mere family, she is your forever friend. The only other person in the world who has been where you have been, and who can understand just how screwed up your parents made you. 

"I hate when they fight all night about stupid shit. Why couldn't daddy have just divorced her greedy ass in the last round of crazy town is beyond me. Or just kill that Spyder, put her head on the wall with the rest of his trophies, then talk to it on holidays? Anything would be healthier than those two sick twists." The shadow whispers sadly. "I will never stay together with anyone for the sake of the children ...not doing anyone any favors."

"I know sweetie." May pulls her midnight sister closer to her. "Just hang in there, this one will be over pretty soon. They can't fight much longer, cause Daddy has work in the morning."

From long experience, they know that the weekday fights are bad enough, but the Saturday night brawls are the worst. As Sunday is the one day a week that their father doesn't have to work early the next morning. So Saturday is hammer time, when Daddy drinks the good stuff. And hammer time is a bad time to pick a fight with a man who has big bills to pay, and doesn't have to work the next day.