Chp 18.

Things were a little weird at first when Prince left. I woke up that morning crying but I knew I had to put on a brave face for school. It got even weirder there. Everyone was acting as if he had passed away. People were coming up to me and asking if I was ok.

I said I was. But that didn't stop people from fussing over me. I think most people were just trying to befriend me now since Prince has acquired some sort of strange newfound popularity amongst our peers despite him not being here at all.

It was stupid. Hell, it even made Samantha get a little pissed off.

"I don't get it, nobody was interested in him before" I complained. "Yeah, well people are crazy..it's not only the girls you got watch out for, it's the guys" Sam pointed out. "What do you mean ?" I asked.

"Senior prom is coming up, your man is out of town...you are like a moth to a flame..guys are bound to be interested in you now" Sam added.

"Oh please, that's so stupid..and besides, I'm not interested in anybody but Prince" I shrugged. "So you're not going to prom ?" Sam spoke lowly, raising her eyebrows. "Well Prince isn't here, who else would take me ?" I defended.

"He can't come down for one night ?" She pondered.

"He just landed in Cali..he's busy in the studio..he wouldn't have time" I muttered.

~ Later that Day ~

It was almost one in the morning but I didn't care. Talking on the phone with Prince was the highlight of my day, everyday. It was what I looked forward to the most.

"So how was school today ?" He questioned. "Eh, it was alright..I would've preferred it more if you were there" I answered honestly. "Why, so we could be doing it in the music room again ?" He teased, making me blush even though he wasn't physically here.

It caused me to zone out in the moment, which was fine since the comfortable silence had enough words to continue the conversation itself.

"I miss you" I told him.

"I know you do" He responded.

"Did you read my poem ?" I wondered. "Of course, I did...I loved it" He uttered softly. "Are you looking out your window right now ?" I beamed, staring at the full moon.

"Yep, it's lovely tonight" He commented.

Silence filled the line again.

"Alice..I'm real sorry you can't be here with me..I haven't forgotten the future, I will make you a star someday...y'know..you've got a gift from god and I want to be the one who helps you fulfil that gift..not only because you deserve it, but because the world does too.." He complimented me seriously.

My eyes were now watering. "Thank you, Prince" I whispered. "No problem, now you go rest that pretty head of yours, I got a lot of work to do...I love you" He replied. "I love you too, bye" I hung up, feeling content.

As I snuggled closer into my mattress, the warmth from Prince's sweater that I was wearing was enough for my vivid imagination to picture his arms around me.

That's what I missed the most. His calming presence.

Before heading to sleep, I gently put the clear cassette into the player once more as I listened to my birthday present for the millionth time.

It would never get old. I could barely wait for his album to be finished and it was only the beginning. He seemed to get into work as soon as he landed in California. I couldn't help but admire his work ethic. He was a perfectionist at best.

Thinking of him in all his wonderful entirety had easily managed to put me to sleep with a peaceful grin laying upon my face.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I woke up and scrunched my eyes up tiredly before opening them. I could hear violent yelling coming from downstairs. I instantly got up to investigate the situation as I stumbled out of bed. Dazed and confused, I was shocked to discover my mother and father arguing loudly at each other as I stood at the top of the stairwell.

His unexpected and highly negative presence was enough to send tears to my eyes.

This had to be a nightmare. He wasn't meant to be here.

I hastily huddled downstairs and went to confront them both. "What's going on ?!" I exclaimed, the fear inside of me growing larger and larger with every passing second. My father's angry but soulless eyes quickly darted towards me whilst my mother watched on with a frightened glance.

"AND YOU, YOU LITTLE SLUT..YOU AND YOUR SCUM OF THE EARTH BOYFRIEND THINK YOU HAD PERMISSION TO USE MY GOD DAMN LAKE HOUSE ?!" He shouted.

I gasped silently as I had no words. My heartbeat increased rapidly. Shit.

But before I could even muster up the bravery to say anything. I saw him raising his hand in my direction, causing my eyes to widen with astonishment.
My mother let out a blood-curdling scream and I soon flinched as I felt myself being harshly smacked against the wall. A hard painful slap had sent me on my way as I hit the ground with a echoing thud.

Shattered glass surrounded me as I had smashed into the back of the mirror wall.

My vision was suddenly blurred and I could feel a warm liquid dripping down from my forehead. I put my hand up to touch it and the pain was intensely faint. I looked back down at my hand and it was indeed covered by my own blood.

"What have you done to my baby !? My poor baby !!!" My mother whimpered hysterically whilst scattering over to the floor beside me as she tried to help me.

I could feel my eyelids becoming uneasily heavy, the pressure wound that was excessively-bleeding was sending me into slight unconsciousness.

The last thing I remember is hearing the cries of my mother and the dreaded footsteps of my father before slowly passing out from the horror of it all.