Smudges

~Rapunzel and Eugene~
"Rap, you don't need to put sunscreen on them. We're only going to the park." Eugene chuckled, watching her coat the children in sunscreen. They looked like walking white ghosts.

"But I don't want them getting burnt." Rapunzel reasoned, adding another layer.

"They won't get burnt. Just trust me, okay?" Eugene assured, grabbing her wrist. Rapunzel didn't have much experience taking care of kids, so she let Eugene take charge.

"Okay. But if they get burnt, it's your fault." Rapunzel threatened, narrowing her eyebrows at him. Eugene laughed as he walked to the car. He was buckling Lindsay in her car seat when Rapunzel came out with Lauren.

"I like Goldfish, but only if they're the rainbow kind." Lauren rambled. Rapunzel just laughed and hopped into the passenger's side. Eugene got into the driver's side and waited for Lauren to buckle up. Eventually, they pulled out of the driveway and drove to the park.

"Wap." Lindsay stated, tilting her head so she could see the blonde.

"Yes, Linds?" Rapunzel replied, turning around to meet the child's eyes.

"Hi."

"Well, hello to you, too." Rapunzel giggled. They pulled into the parking lot and saw two other cars and a few kids playing on the equipment while their parents watched them from the benches.

"We're here!" Eugene declared, shutting off the car. He turned around seeing hem scramble.

"Finally!" Lauren groaned, unbuckling herself and getting out of the car. She raced to the equipment, excited to be outside. She yelled as loud as she could as she skipped to the slide.

"Punz, will you get Lindsay?" Eugene asked, digging through the car, looking for the water bottles.

"Sure." Rapunzel smiled as she went to the back and freed her from her car seat. She picked her up and walked with Eugene towards a bench. This was something she could get used to.

"Eugene! Will you come push me?" Lauren called from the swings, her legs barely reaching the ground.

"I'll bring Lindsay and push her too." Eugene explained to Rapunzel, reaching over to grab the child from her lap.

"Kay. I'll just stay over here." Rapunzel replied, her legs feeling cool and bare now. Eugene grinned and walked over by Lauren with Lindsay running behind him. Rapunzel smiled as she watched Eugene play with the kids. He was a family man whether he'd admit it or not.

"So, which ones are yours?" A lady asked, making Rapunzel jump. Rapunzel placed her hand over her chest, slightly panting now.

"Oh, I don't have any kids." Rapunzel chuckled, shaking her head. She brushed back her blonde hair, realizing that it was a little creepy for her to just be watching children by herself.

"Well, you're obviously here with someone, right?" The lady laughed as she rocked her sleeping baby. The baby's chubby cheeks were a light tint of pink from the heat.

"That's my husband and his nieces, well, I guess they're my nieces too." She replied. That was a weird thought. She had already two nieces.

"How long have you been married?"

"Three weeks." Rapunzel smiled, placing her hands on her lap. She did not want to go into this story again. She always had to explain herself. People either became disgusted with her or proud of her. She hoped it would be the latter.

"Sorry I'm asking such personal questions. Oh, by the way, I'm Rochelle." She greeted, holding out one of her free hands.

"Rapunzel." She nodded, taking the warm hand. The woman's copper eyes gave her a sense of comfort and security. Her red hair was tied up in a loose bun and her body was sprinkled in freckles.