July

~Rapunzel and Eugene~
"Come on, Rap. It's your birthday! At least let me take you out to dinner." Eugene begged. He had his whole evening planned out for them. Everything was going smoothly. He made sure everything was in its place so nothing could possibly go wrong, but of course, Rapunzel didn't want to go.

"I've always spent my birthday with my parents. Don't you think they'll be lonely?" Rapunzel worried. Rapunzel didn't to hurt her relationship with her parents. If she didn't go to their house for her birthday, would they be mad at her?

"I seriously doubt it." Eugene smiled. She frowned not pleased with his response and nervously bit her lip. She didn't want to make the wrong choice.

"You sure?" She questioned. Eugene nodded his head, knowing that they wouldn't be lonely.

"Positive. Now go get ready!" Eugene commanded as he pushed her down the hall. She put on her favorite purple dress and heels. Rapunzel put on some light makeup and stared at herself in the mirror. What is he planning?

Eugene patiently waited for Rapunzel. He swung her keys around his finger and watched some tv. Eventually, she trudged out of their room and sheepishly stood in front of him. "Ready to go?" She blushed. Eugene thought she looked gorgeous.

"Uh-huh." He grinned. He led her to the car and drove her off into the countryside. They sang along to the radio, calming Rapunzel down. Eventually, they reached their destination. Eugene, starting to feel a pang of nervousness, opened the door for Rapunzel.

"Thanks," She smiled as he helped her out. He locked the car and took her hand. Rapunzel was nervous about being out at dark. What could he possibly have planned? "Where are we going?"

"Best day of your life," Eugene grinned. Pinks and oranges alike streaked across the country sky. It was a beautiful July night. They walked across a hill, making Rapunzel's heels sink in the ground. Eventually, they reached a red checkered blanket. "Ta-da!"

Eugene hoped it was beautiful enough for her. He wanted to make her birthday special, giving her something she's never done before. After minutes of not saying anything, Eugene became nervous. His hands were clamming up and his throat was tightening. "You like it, right?" He questioned.

"No," Rapunzel frowned. Eugene felt embarrassed. He shouldn't have tried. Of course someone else had already taken her on a date like this before. Who wouldn't? It was something that screamed Rapunzel. "I love it!" She grinned. The blanket was setup underneath a willow tree that was decorated with lights. She took his hand and dragged him to the blanket.

After their meal, the sky began to turn dark. The stars were starting to twinkle. The summer breeze was calling the couple to lake down below the hill. The fireflies were waking up, blinking their little lights. The crickets were starting to sing their songs. Eugene helped Rapunzel into the little boat that was decorated in white Christmas lights. Rapunzel couldn't help but feel confused. She didn't know he was romantic. "Eugene, did you plan all of this?" She questioned.

"Yeah. I mean, it's a little cliché." Eugene fumbled. He wanted to impress Rapunzel, so admitting it was all his idea was putting him in the spot. If she didn't like it, she knew who to blame.

"I like it." She smiled as he rowed them to the middle of the lake. After they stopped, Eugene started at her under the moonlight. Her eyes gleamed with awe and happiness. The stars in the sky couldn't compare to her glimmering green eyes.

"So, can you guess what we're going to do out here?" Eugene asked as he clamped his hands together.

Rapunzel shook her head. "No. Can you give me a hint?" She smiled. Rapunzel could tell he was anxious. She didn't understand why. She wasn't anything to impress, but people can be scared about anything.