[Chapter Twelve]

It's a long chapter just for you guys!

***

"My turn!" Hazel piped. "Um sir, no, prince, can you read this time?" Hazel asked Hoshang. His large hands close around the colorful book.

Hoshang smiled happily and agreed. "Absolutely." He opened the book and began. His voice was calm but excited as he leaned closer to the children.

Looking at the children, I couldn't help but see Don sneak glances at Alice. Every couple of pages or when she giggled, he would peek at her quickly.

The children sat in a cluster around Hoshang's chair. The boys and I sat in a semi circle behind them. Xavier sat on my left and Cepos sat on my right. "Do you like the children?" I whispered to Cepos.

Before he could reply, Alice eyed Cepos and grabbed his hand. She pulled his hand until it was a couple of inches from her chest. His eyes became wide in surprise, yet he didn't pull away. Her cheeks were flushed and she giggled. She pulled her fist from her pocket and dropped something in his palm.

Cepos's open palm held a crumpled piece of paper. He flattened it. Then he smiled. Not his excited and bright smile. Just a soft curl of the lips, as though this smile contained more happiness.

I couldn't see what it said and I didn't pry. He stuffed it in his shirt pocket and looked back at me. "Not like. Love," he said still smiling.

I smiled and turned back to the storyteller. When it came to Alice's turn, she picked Cepos. I noticed that Don was glaring at him. Cepos read about a lady warrior who wanted one thing that only one person could give her.

"Princess?" Ian questioned over my shoulder.

"Yes Ian?" I replied as quietly as possible.

"It's almost time to go."

"Ah, I see. Thank you Ian." I dismissed him with a wave. As if on cue, Cepos closed the book. "Alright children, unfortunately we have to get going," I announced.

They whined and frowned. "See you, Alice," Cepos says. He then leaned down to Don. He whispered something in Don's ear. Don went stiff and blushed furiously. Cepos chuckled and stood upright.

Jae-Hwa ruffled Tommy's hair. "And remember, try not to hide behind a lady's skirt," Jae-Hwa says. Tommy nodded seriously.

"You need to slay dragon. Don't be scared. You can always ask me to help you," Tommy smiles.

"Yes sir!" Jae-Hwa says with chuckle.

When I took a step to the door, the children swarmed me. Their small arms embraced me into a hug. "Sneaky Princess," Grace said.

"Yeah, you can't leave without a hug," Hazel scolds.

"Alright alright," I say. I squeezed all of them until they were squealing to be released. We all said our goodbyes and drove off in the limo, Cepos sat next to me.

"Funny Alice," Cepos says. Then he digs into his shirt pocket and pulls out a piece of paper the size of my palm. Smiling, he hands it to me. On it, was a short sentence.

i liKe yOur hair. :)

I laughed and handed it back to him. "Funny indeed," I said. He grinned and nodded. "What did you say to Don?" I ask.

He shook his head and chuckled before answering. "No no, Man to man."

I eyed him but he only shrugged, giving me his cheeky smile.