[Chapter Twenty-One]

I walked the shortest route to my room, afraid that Ian would catch me parading with paint on my body.

After washing up, I decided to take some time to visit the Royal Library before catching up on some work. As I pushed pass the doors, the smell of books blast me. Books lined walls from ceiling to floor.

The one story library was larger than any average one. But it was still smaller than the bookstore. I walked in and found a desk between two shelves. Opening my book (The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson) I began to read. Near the end of a chapter, I hear a shuffle behind me. I freeze.

I heard that, right? My fingers slowly close my book.

I hear another sound and I stop.

Okay, if this is some threat or an assassination attempt, I have to be careful. Two guards are posted just outside the door. But if I call for help now, there's no doubt my attacker would have just enough time to be rid of me. Even with the amount of distance that holds us apart. They may have a weapon. I set down my paperback book and reach for a hardcover one. I lift it into my hold, trying my best to not make any sound. My feet stay glued to the ground as I stand, and I mentally slap them to move towards the sound. My feet are unsteady but I move anyways.

The hardcover book is arms length away from me. My elbows aren't bent, instead my arms are fully straight. The bookshelf blocks my view, keeping my threatener out of sight.

I swallow.

One step. Two. On the third step, I leap to the other side of the shelf.

I'm surprised by what I see.

He jumps and his book, which I assume he was reading, flew from his grasp, toppling to the table. He pauses, then jolts up and stands. "Um, hello Nayla."

"Oh. Hello Jae-Hwa." I realize now how paranoid I've become and I reel in my arms from their awkward stretch. "My apologies. I didn't mean to, scare you..."

"That's alright," he says. "Please, join me." He walks over and pulls a seat out across from him. I nod and sit as he pushes the chair in.

"Thank you," I say. He smiles politely. Jae-Hwa walks back to his seat. As he sits, he positions the fallen book on it's face. I read the spine. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.

"A classic." I point to his book. His book choice is a genre stretch from mine.

"Yes, have you read it?" He asks.

I shake my head. "No."

"That's a shame. This is my fifth round," he chuckles.

"Wow, I should get to it then."

"You should," he nods.

"So you like classics?" I ask.

"Some, but more of history," he replies and smiles brightly.

"Ah, history." I say. I don't include my feelings on how much I hate history. He picks up his book and begins to read. I do the same.

I had heard that Jae-Hwa was smart and I can't deny it. You can tell, in the way holds himself. The way he speaks. His eyes are always observant. So different from In-Su.

I scold myself. Don't compare the brothers. They're two different people.

We read in silence for a good 30 minutes. He's the first to strike a conversation.

"Have you ever wanted siblings?" He asks, looking up from his book.

"Oh of course! I've always dreamed of what it would be like if I had a younger sibling. I'd braid her hair all day and gossip." I say with excitement.

"And if it were a boy?"

"I'd tease him of his height until he grew a head taller than I."

He chuckles. "How I'd love to see you with siblings."

"Is it just you and In-Su?" I ask. I wasn't quite sure of their family.

"Yes. Just In-Su and I. Although, for the longest time I begged my parents for a sister." He chuckles at the thought. Jae-Hwa reads my face too well. "You must get lonely," he says. I smile sadly.

I would have begged my parents too, if I didn't know how much they tried for another child. After having me, my mother was unable to conceive again. No matter what they did.

I remember a time when I was younger. My child self had been so excited to share a cookie with my mother. When I was at her door, I heard sobs. I, a little girl, stopped to eavesdrop, only to find that it was my mother through the crack of the door.

"It's going to be alright honey," My father had said.

"It-it's all my fault," my mother had said in between sobs.

"No no. It's not your fault at all," Father said, trying to sooth her.

"Yes it is, and now our little Nayla will be alone for the rest of her life," mother had protested.

After that, I went to my room crying. Thinking like a child that I would literally spend eternity alone in a huge castle. Mother had found me and explained in the best way to child, what she meant. And that is why I've never complained of being the only child.

"Occasionally," I admit. "But I am blessed to have so many friends to surround me with affection."

"A blessing it is," he nods.

"Anyways, how has your day been?"

"It's been well. My Father has been informing me of the details in Korea. So I've been dealing with those documents." He holds up his book. "Just a bit of an escape. But I had best be going now. To finish those papers up," he says. He bows and turns.

I notice how he doesn't say anything of his mother and I mentally take note of it.

After finishing five more chapters, I leave the library. Like Jae-Hwa, I had gone to the library for an escape from work. So I trudge to my room at an awfully slow pace.

"I do value my breath," a voice says. "So it'd be nice if you didn't take it away every time you walk by."