[Chapter Twenty-Three]

"I didn't see his face, Rose."

"Those pretty boys be messing with the wrong people. If they think they can get away with a nasty trick, oh they've got it coming," Rose remarks.

"I know, but, I refuse to believe that it be one of the boys."

"Sweetie, you do know everything points to them," she soothes. My hands hold a bundle of my dress. I look down and nod. "Now dear, just be careful with that heart of yours."

"I know." She springs off the bed, making the mattress shoot up. I almost greet the floor with my face, but I manage to plant both of my heels on the ground. I sigh in relief. A good bruise to face right before a date would be splendid.

"An a brighter note. You have a date!" She claps her hands together and smiles lovingly. Somehow, Rose is able to look like two different ages at the same time. A middle aged woman and a teenager day dreaming of her future love life.

"Yes yes, not until tomorrow though," I say. "Until then, I still have business to take care of."

"Yes Princess." I waved her goodbye and left my room once again. Father's office was on the same level, but it was a rather far walk.

Reaching his office, I knocked once. A muffled voice called me in. "Ah, Nayla dear." He sat behind his desk. A paper in each hand. His glasses rested upon the tip of his nose.

"Hello Father." I sat on a small sofa, making myself comfy. "I've been meaning to discuss a matter with you."

"And that is?" He asked. His eyes looked up from his sheets.

"Well, I've been noticing how everyone, the boys, are far from their homes. Meaning, far from their families. I've realized how home-sick they must be," I continued. "So, my idea is to invite the royal families here!"

"Ah, I see. But you do realize how much security is involved and how long that will take dear."

"Yes, I do."

"But, I know where you're going. And I do understand your train of thought." He takes off his glasses and sets them on his desk. "If I agree to handle the security breaches, you promise me you'll plan everything else?"

I squeal. "Yes! Thank you Dad!"

Tomorrow morning, he was off on another trip. A promising alliance, he had said. I smile and kiss him goodbye. For I won't see him until he gets back.

Now, time for the hard stuff.

***

Yesterday flew by fast. I had talked with mother over everything. I can say that it was hard. With so many cultures and countries, it was challenging trying to plan the decorations. If one object was pronounced honorable in one country, in the other, it was a symbol of bad luck. It went on and on just like that. So, I decided to give it some more thought before diving in any further.

I sat in my seat, eating breakfast. The chair at the head of the table was empty. But to my left was Mother and to my right, was Aala.

"A chilly morning, is it not?" Mother said, loud enough for everyone to hear. Her voice was not loud. It did not boom or make the room shake, as did Father's, but it was always warm.

"Yes, My Queen," Hoshang said.

She nodded happily.

"Ah!" I said. "I have good news!" Everyone stared intently. "Father has agreed to let your families visit the palace! It shall take place two weeks from tomorrow." I smiled as I saw surprised and gleeful faces. Except for one. Who's face was mixed with sweet happiness and sadness.

"Really Nayla!?" Alaa asked. I had never heard him speak so loud. I laughed.

"Truly!?" Xavier asked.

"Yes yes." I said. Aala's ears turned red and he began nipping at his food. But his mouth still contained that smile. "As I was saying, you should inform your families and friends."

Everyone nodded. Or at least, most.

***

"Will the drapes be rose red or royal blue?" An adviser asked. She stood beside me as we examined the ballroom. Its ceiling was high and it pronounced the glass windows. Chandeliers glittered the space.

I held a piece of cloth to the window. "Neither," I responded. Her hand held a clipboard filled with our documents. "We'll make the drapes yellow. The flowers can be a mix of Cosmos and Water Lillies. Add some pink roses for a splash of color." I insisted.

It would be formal enough for the parents and elders but fun to look at, for the children. The adviser scribbled down some notes as she asked more questions.

I was so focused that I hadn't even notice the great doors burst open. "Princess! I've been looking for you everywhere!" Rose threw her arms up, but froze as she glimpsed at my adviser. She coughed. "Forgive me. I have some things to discuss with The Princess." My lady adviser bowed as she excused us. I nodded.

Immediately after she left, Rose sucked in a breath. "Princess forgive me, but there's no time! You're going to be late!" She tapped her invisible watch and grabbed me by the wrist. I was yanked to her as she began to run.

"For what?!" I huffed, but still ran.

"Surely you haven't forgotten!" She turned her head back to me briefly. "You have dinner with Prince Xavier!"

I gasped. Has it been that long already?!

Surely enough, as I glanced at the windows, the sky had already began to darken.

We ran all the way to my sleeping quarters and Rose still amazes me. This lady must be an athlete. An old lady who runs faster than I is certainly incredible.

When we entered, she threw me a dress. I didn't care to look at it. I just stripped and slipped it over my head. My feet rushed to sit on my vanity stool. Rose's hands were rushed as she raked at my hair. She peppered my face lightly with powder and applied simple makeup. Her fingers were quick as she tidied up my dress and attached simple accessories.

My feet slipped into a nice pair of heels. Rose looked at my face. "Alright, you get out there and you show them who you are. You don't need to worry about a thing. Have some fun."

I laughed. "I'm sure I'll be all right. There's no new for a pep talk."

She smiled warmly and gasped. "Ah! The time! Go to the roof Hurry go!" I smiled at her and left. I tried keeping my hair in place as I ran, but I found that humanely impossible.

I climbed stairs after stairs. My feet ached, but I didn't stop. My eyes perked as I saw a faint light beneath the door to the roof. My hands reached out and turned the nob.

***

Well then.

How is school for everyone?

I got waaaaay too much homework. I'm cryin'. But, I've been working hard. No need to worry about me, cause I know you guys toootally are, right?

Hehe.

Off I go.

;)