[Chapter Twenty-Four]

Xavier's POV:

"Yeah, just set that there," I directed. She set the flowers in the middle of the table.

The lights were already strung up. It was already getting dark, but we had time. The preparations were almost done.

Talking to a serving boy, I heard the door. My head turned when it clicked open while she burst through door. She stood at the opening, her hair a mess. But her dress was stunning. It fit her waist perfectly. She was gasping, as if she had been running.

My mouth was open in shock. She was nearly two hours early.

"Uh, Nayla?"

"Am I late?" she gasped. She looked around and her face was beginning to filled with horror. I walked to her. "Oh Xavier, I'm so-sorry. I thought-thought that it was time and I just ran. And I oh, gosh-"

She stood before me, still gasping for breath. I chuckled. "You uh, surprised me."

"Early bird gets the worm?" She smiled and bit her lip.

"First you scare me half to death, then you call me a worm. You sure know how to make a guy feel special."

"It's a talent," she laughed.

After ordering the guards and serving ladies away, we sat across from each other. The food wasn't ready yet so we waited.

"I really am sorry, Xavier."

"It's alright," I chuckled. "But what gave you the impression that it was time?"

"Well, Rose, my head Lady had informed me. And, I really do trust her, so I went with it. But I should have checked the time anyways." She shrugged. I nodded and sipped on my wine. Her hair was calmer. She had straightened her dress and her smile was framed worriedly on her face.

"Are you going to fire this Rose?"

She gasped. "Heavens no! Why a would I do something like that!"

"Well because she did something wrong."

"Oh everyone makes mistakes Xavier."

I just shrugged.

"Well, how is the party planning going?" I asked, changing the topic.

"To be honest, it's actually been quite challenging. With all of the countries to consider, It's difficult to consider everyone."

"Ah, I see. That really must be difficult. If you do need help though, I'm happy to lend a hand." I offered. She looked stressed.

"Thank you. Anyways, let's forget about that for now. Update me about your family. Have you told them of the news?"

"Yes I have. They were overjoyed to be invited, especially my brothers. Those rascals." I said. She laughed.

"That's good."

"You could say. They have ways of making you feel annoyed without making you angry."

"Hmm, sounds like someone I know." She replied, raising a brow. I eyed her.

"Is that supposed to mean something?" I asked.

"Beats me," she shrugged. I shook my head and smiled.

When I looked up, I found that the serving boy had come to deliver the food. He set the silver plater in front of both of us. The steam of the broth reached my nose. Delightful.

"Thank you, Grant," Nayla said looking at him. I looked at her. The boy perked up at his name and smiled widely. Then he quickly poured our drinks and left.