[Chapter Sixteen]

Aala's POV:

I stand, clutching Nayla's hand. My breathing is hard and uneven. I'm soaked. My clothes stick to me uncomfortably and my eyelashes are coated with droplets. Water just constantly runs down my cheek.

When I look to Nayla. Her cheeks glow bright pink. Her make up is smeared and it drips from the edge of her chin. Nayla's hair sticks to the sides of her face. Her dress looks like it was emerged in water. Her gaze examines my present state. "Oh!" She says.

I look down to see what I missed. I finally see what she saw. My right shoe is gone, and the sock is half off my foot.

"Oh," I agree.

Amused at myself, her eyes reach mine. All of a sudden, she bursts out laughing. Her laughter is sweet but...crazy. I can't help but laugh too, as her eyes squeeze shut. Just look at us.

"Y-your shoe-" she wheezes in laughter. I nod my head as my laughter goes on. This laughter thing goes on for good minute or two before we have to catch our breaths. By now, the sprinklers are off.

"What did you say about our dirt stains?" She smiles.

"This," I point to our drenched selves, "Puts it to shame." She snickers.

"Indeed. Wait here," she says. When she takes a step away I find my hand still wrapped in hers. She jolts to a stop.

"Um, oh...sorry," I swipe my hand away. Nayla giggles before departing in the direction where we came from. The grass sparkles and the flowers look brighter.

She returns a while later. Her hands are behind her back. "Remember how I said I liked Cinderella?" She says. I nod my head, wondering where she's going with this. "I think you left something behind." She takes her hands out from her back. She tosses something to me. In my hands is my shoe.

"Thanks!"

"I stumbled upon it while we were running. Literally," she laughs.

"I see. But if I remember, doesn't the princess lose her shoe?" I ask.

She shrugs and replies, "Works both ways." I chuckle.

"Princess!? Prince Aalaahdith?!"

I turn around to see a shocked Ian. Oh no. "Run!" She whispers.

***

Heeeyy!

Don't worry, their date isn't over yet!

Off the find the wizard!

XD