[Chapter Thirty-Five] I Do

Four weeks later.

It's me.

As I look into the mirror, I imagine her beside me, arm in arm. My dark suit is embroidered with the colors of my flag. But I haven't seen her since yesterday. The wedding planning has been chaotic. A knock comes at my door. "Come in!" I say. The door opens and then shuts. "Prisha!" I exclaim.

"Al!" She squeaks as I hug her. Her hair is short and a part of it is braided. "Mom's going to blame me if I mess up your suit," she squirms.

"Oh, right," I reply and let her go. "Where's mother? Where's father?"

"They have some interviews, so they'll meet you at the wedding." I nod. Then she runs off and sumersualts onto my bed.

"Prisha!!"

She laughs while I shake my head. Then I hear a sigh. "Am I next Al?" She lays still on the bed, dress spread around her.

"Not till your 17 Pri (pr-ee)," I say. She mumbles something but I can't hear. Suddenly her dress flies from the bed and then she's standing.

"Well I'm gonna make the most of it then."

"Make the most of what?" I ask. Tucking a piece loose thread at my cuffs, I turn around.

"Being single, duh," she replies. I can't help but laugh. She hugs me once more and then walks out, leaving me.

"You'll soon understand."

Nayla:
"Dad, I really think I'm going to fall." My arm is tightly looped with his as we wait for our entrance. The flower girls have already entered.

"I got you dear."

Now the bride's maids are entering. Kate runs up to me as she's going to enter. When I informed her that she was going to be one of my bridesmaid, she was ecstatic. It was also the same with Prisha and Kyra. I thought they were old enough and they acted as if they were too old to be flower girls.

"I'm so happy for you!" She kisses my cheek and walks through the doors. When Kyra, the last bridesmaid walks in, my hands tremble. Dad puts his hand over mine.

Suddenly the doors swing wide open. We take our first step, and were walking. Every pair of eyes are on me. I look through them trying to find a familiar one but all I can see is the one imprint of me.

Aala stands absolutely still. A smile grips his cheeks and eyes. His ears are tinted pink but I wonder what he's embarrassed of.

Suddenly, he's standing before me. Then my hand is being removed from my father and being placed in his. Our eyes seem to lock. Everything fades and I only listen as the preacher says words for me to repeat. Then the one phrase I've been waiting for came.

"I do," Alaa says.

"I do," I say.

Then suddenly Alaa's ears burst into the color of flames. I didn't understand but when the preacher said the words I could feel my cheeks burn.

"You may kiss the bride."