21

" Fake tales of San Francisco. Echo through the air. And there's a few bored faces at the back. All wishing they weren't there"

Alex sings energetically and loudly to the San Francisco crowd and I try to keep the laughter threatening to erupt from my lips. I stand backstage watching over the crew and the band as they perform their last song for the night. I decided to stay backstage for the first night since their fans are probably going to notice me as the "mysterious brunette". For some reason I haven't felt comfortable and I feel the need to keep my connection with him some type of secret.

" Yeah, she's dashing for the exit And she's running to the streets outside "Oh, you've saved me"." He sings trying his best to intimate a girl's voice while gazing at the rest of his bandmates with A humorous grin before continuing to sing normally." she screams down the line "The band were fucking wank And I'm not having a nice time"." Alex continues to sing and I listen to the lyrics, overanalyzing them once again. His insecurities for his music leaks through and it pains me to see talent like his not be appreciated by the most important person, himself. "Get off the bandwagon and put down the handbook. Yeah." Alex finishes singing and I laugh to myself at the irony of where the song, he said is called Fake Tales of San Francisco, is being performed.

" Thank you for tonight, San Francisco." Alex thanks the crowd with his thick accent before giving them a wave and walking off. Before he makes his way off he winks towards a group of girls he's been eyeing all night and calls over one of the crew members. I watch as he whispers something to the man before pointing towards the crowd. The man nods his head and makes his way off the stage before Alex turns around, A wide grin covering his face. but when he makes his way backstage and notices a figure, me, standing in front of him he quickly masks over it by wiping the sweat off his face and looking away from me. Surprisingly enough he has been energetic throughout the whole performance and hasn't drank any alcohol through the show. During soundcheck he seemed so exhausted and out of it but thankfully he got everything together for the main performance. Thanks to Shay.

" Great show." I tell them clapping my hands along with the fans outside. Nick, Matt and Jamie give me a sweet smile before following Alex and making their way towards the dressing rooms. Shortly after they're gone my crew begins to show up and they clear out the venue or clean up the stage. I help around and try my best to be helpful but Jack approaches me once I try to do something that's out of my reach.

" Let me help you out." He tells me and I thank him before going around and trying my best to help the crew finish up quickly. The night was enjoyable and though I tried my best to drown out his performance, ultimately by the end I was mentally jamming out to their songs.

Derek and Lauren, the bands publicist, walk towards the backstage and I watch them from a far as I work with the crew. They seem deeply in a conversation but shortly after, Derek catches me staring and I tear myself away hoping that he didn't notice me staring for too long.

" Hey, sweetheart?" Alex startles me from behind and I jump. He laughs lightly while he finishes buttoning up his white dress shirt. I watch as he steps off the stage and a girl quickly sneaks off shortly after he reaches the last step. He watches my eyes as I scan the girl and he clears his throat, trying his best to get me to remove my attention from the groupie he surely just slept with. I don't really care if he's sleeping around, I don't expect much from him. I just thought she looked young, it must be my paranoia. " You aren't going to tell me how great I did on stage tonight?" He teases me with a wide smirk and I roll my eyes. For a solid second I believe him and I feel as if he needs my reassurance that he did great but when I see the devilish smirk pulling at his lips I am brought back to reality. This man could give a crap less about what people think of him, especially me.