54

" I said maybe,
You're gonna be the one
that saves me"

A man plays off the side of the sidewalk and I watch as Matt pulls off to the side and throws a $50 dollar bill inside of his practically empty cardboard box. A grin covers the man's face and he smiles at Matt as he sends him a wave and smile before continuing to walk by my side. 

" I'm hungry." I groan as we walk through the city street. Matt laughs by my side and looks around at several unappealing store fronts that aren't close to satisfying my cravings. " I want some New York City pizza, and hot dogs, and ice cream." I groan running my hand over my growling stomach. He rolls his eyes as we walk and I smile, missing him being annoyed by me.

" We're almost there I think." He shrugs and I nod, giving in and choosing to wait. " So this tour has really been a lot of work?" He asks as we walk, his attention set on his feet as we walk and I look around at the whole city surrounding us.

" It's been alright I guess." I shrug, choosing not to complain about the career I chose for myself. " It's not as much work as it was with you morons-" I tease him turning to look at him as he rolls his eyes playfully, a light laugh leaving his lips. " But it's a decent amount of work." I shrug watching as he stuffs his hands into his pockets like always and walks rhythmically along the side of the street, closer than me towards the cars speeding by. " What about you?" I counter back, picking up on his habit and stuffing my cold hands into my pockets. " How's the new album going? Lots of work?" I question, looking up to watch a mother in a thick coat strolling by with her child.

" it's actually been going great." He exhales, looking up from the ground and gazing at me before looking up at the darkening sky. " I'm really liking this one." He grins lightly, trying to hold back his clearly excited expression.

" Excited to be the first to hear a sneak peek." I half- joke, turning to look at him as he smiles at me and nods, knowing me too well to know that I'm not actually joking. A comfortable silence engulfs for several minutes before I speak up by his side. " Matt." I say in a light tone, the sound of him muttering a 'mhm' following shortly after. " Why do you despise Alex so much?" I question, letting out a light laugh afterwards to make me seem uninterested. He sighs by my side and I turn to look at him as he gazes at the sky in deep thought.

" It's just a lot of things." He shrugs, letting out a sigh before turning to look at me as I raise an eyebrow at him. " I guess he's just the type of guy that I know is no good." He shrugs, shifting his attention towards looking back down at his feet again. " You always see all this shit about him being a total dick to women and just all these scandals with him and it's just pathetic." He scoffs, stuffing his hands back into his pocket after unintentionally moving his hands around to express his agitation. " It just bothers me that you're on tour with him and he's such a dick." He sighs, continuing to walk by my side as he looks down towards his feet. My heart warms up at the thought of his concern but I only stay silent, not wanting him to know the reality of how close I've allowed myself to get to Alex.

Neither of us bother saying anything else as we continue our walk through the city, reaching the very busy and bright Times Square only ten minutes later. The screens dangle from the buildings and I watch the on goers pass by, many tourists stopping to take pictures and many others simply walking by. My face lights up as I twirl around in the city center, turning to look at every screen as simple things like ads pop up onto them. Many performers line the streets and others approach me and Matt in costumes, Elmo stopping by to give me a hug before wandering off. Several individuals attract my attention with their eccentric and eclectic clothing but I only stare, admiring their confidence and individuality in a Barbie doll world.

" Do you think New York would be important if every city looked like this?" I mumbled gazing at every bright light and listening in to every street performer.