(38)

Three days.

Two words, nine letters, seventy two hours, four thousand three hundred and twenty minutes, two hundred and fifty nine thousand and two hundred seconds.

That's how long Alexa has been in a coma. Derek calmed us, told us it was just because her body was physically drained but I can't help but worry. I was currently sitting beside her on the bed, looking at our held hands.

Damn, what brought us here, huh?

Suddenly, her finger twitches slightly in my hold. My eyes widen from this and I sit there anticipated. She groans a bit then flutters her eyes open. I smile at her as her eyes go wide.

"Noah?" she says, her voice croaky. I get up and get her a glass of water to which she smiles at me gratefully before taking a sip. "W-what are you doing here? What happened?" she asks as she sits up slowly, I help her with adjusting her pillows before I sit down again.

"Y-you collapsed." I say in a strained voice. She looks down at her lap before looking up.

"Z told you, didn't she?" she says. I nod at her as she sighs deeply. "Well, you have the right to know everything, so, I'm going to tell you the story." She says.

"Don't you wanna say hi to your family first?" I ask.

"No, let me just say this then we can do anything." She says with a shake to her head. I nod hesitantly as I wait for her reply.

"Well, I got diagnosed before I met you by 3 days or something. I was kinda depressed; I wanted to watch Netflix till after it all. Derek said I only had 6 weeks to live and that I should spend time with my loved ones." 6 weeks? And 4 passed, that means; oh no. "I met you at the store and the idea of the bet came to me because I wanted to try something new than my boring life. When you said I was determined that I wouldn't get attached to you, but I obviously failed. On the day of the rollercoaster ride Zach knew, he noticed I lost weight," I did too. "He noticed my pale skin," So did I. "He asked me and I had to tell him, he broke down and broke me down as well. Later, Aiden knew as well from Zach and he was the one that made me break it off the first time." That ass. "When you came to my house beaten up I rushed to your help and had to return the bet, days went by and I got more tired, I-I went to a scan, the cancer spread everywhere. I had to leave you. I couldn't let you get hurt." She says as a tear falls down her cheeks. My facial expression softens with sympathy as she looks at me with a sad smile. "I am so sorry, Noah." she says. I shake my head quickly as I grab her hand and kiss it.

"It's not your fault. It'll never be your fault, Alexa, never blame yourself." I say as I gently hug her. She hugs me back as tight as her weak arms can. I bury my head in her shoulder as I feel the anger inside me bubble, why? Just, why? She pulls away and looks at me as I sit on the bed.

"Are you angry?" she asks. I smile sweetly at her.

"No dear, I am furious, I just don't wanna blow up in your face." I say, still smiling sweetly. She widens her eyes as I say this. I yawn suddenly as exhaustion hits me with full force, again.

"Are you tired?" she asks. "Did you sleep?" she says with a raised eyebrow. I sigh and shake my head. She shakes her head and sighs at me disapprovingly. "You're an idiot." She says as she shakes her head again. She starts to get up but I stop her.

"Where do you think you're going?" I say as I grab her wrist.

"I am gonna take a shower while you sleep a bit." She says as she takes out her IV from her arm.

"What the hell do you think you're doing? Stop!" I say. She smiles at me.

"I wanna take a shower, Noah, sleep." She orders as she gets out, she starts swaying left and right a bit before gaining her balance.

"Your bag is there." I say as I point to the Nike bag on the couch. She smiles at me gratefully before taking the bag and disappearing in the bathroom. Immediately, I take my shoes off and lie on the bed as the results of not sleeping for 72 hours hit me forcefully. And then, I slip into darkness.

I wake up as voices are sounded throughout the room. I open my eyes to see everyone sitting around me, Zach, Aiden, Z, Alexa's mom and Alexa herself. I sit up slightly as Aiden snickers at me.

"Aw, sleeping beauty woke up, guys." He says. I glare at him before sitting up.

"How long was I asleep?" I say in a husky voice.

"Only 3 hours, they just came." Alexa says, grinning way too hard. I smile at her as Aiden gags.

"I can't believe I am the only single man in the three musketeers." He groans. All of us laugh at him as he puts his head in his hands. I get up from the bed and wipe my hands on my jeans.

"Um, Alexa, can I talk to you outside?" I say. Alexa nods quickly as her mom also gets up.

"I am gonna go get coffee, anyone want any?" she asks. We all shake our head as Alexa gets up. She struggles for a bit to get up from the chair and I help her. She smiles gratefully at me as she takes the IV holder and pushes it with her as we go out. The hospital gown looked like an oversized dress on her, showing me how thing she has gotten. We both go into the waiting room and she sits down, panting for a bit. I whimper mentally at her state as I sit beside her.

"How are you feeling?" she asks.

"I am surprised and angry, I guess, but don't care about me right now, what does it feel?" I ask, agitated.

"It hits you like a punch, you know, like when you're in an argument and you don't expect a punch but it hits you so strong that you can't fight back and then you fall, during the fall is the fight you go through, whether you'll get up or not is the choice you take through the fight, and then you either just waver for a bit and stumble then regain your balance and health or you fall unconscious, it's the hardest choice ever. But you'll have to go through it one day, either now or never." She says, bringing tears to my eyes. I know exactly what this feels like. Her words left me speechless; she described it perfectly.

"How are you feeling?" I ask again, but with a pointed look.

"I am feeling kinda guilty and worried. Like, what will you guys do when I, um, when it's my, uh, you know?" she says. I stare at her hurt and worried face as she looks at me.

"We will survive." I say.

"How are you so sure?" she asks in a determined tone.

"I just know we will, stop worrying for a bit, God." I say with a laugh. She chuckles at me before looking down at her lap.

"Don't leave me or be mad at me please." She says as she bites her lip.

"As I told you before, I am not mad at you at all, I am mad at the world. And Zach and Aiden as well." I say as I crack my knuckles. I get up and give her my arm. "Let's go stay with them." I add, she nods and takes my arm, leaning on it we walk side by side till we reach the room. I am gonna kick their asses later, and that's for sure, but now, I was occupied to even think about it.

Why Alexa in particular?

Why, God, the only person I am truly in love with?