Chapter 7 - Scoundrels Never Change

Playlist:

❶ "Shootout in the Cell Bay/Dianoga Medley"—A New Hope OST

⊘ Silence

❷ "Han Solo and the Princess"—The Empire Strikes Back OST

❶ Leia clutched Han as they ran, his large hand encompassing her dainty fingers

❶ Leia clutched Han as they ran, his large hand encompassing her dainty fingers. Dust swirled around the couple while they sprinted toward the Millennium Falcon

I finally get a quiet moment and some decent food over at that cantina, and then this happens. Han Solo, when we get out of this mess—Leia gasped as she pushed over the table and raced down the cantina's ramp.

Han jumped as laser fire swept his ankles. His head grazed the swinging sign of Pablo's Pawn Shop.

"What's going on?" She ducked as a bolt shot past her ear.

Han clenched her hand tighter, dragging her across the tarmac. "No time to explain." He pushed her up the ramp before running to the cockpit. "Just get in there." 

The green Rodian proprietor poked out his long snout and swiveled his saucer-like antenna toward the couple. His suction-cup fingers squeezed the trigger of his assault blaster while his gang of degenerates fired at the Falcon.

"What did you do?" Leia craned her neck out the cockpit viewport. "They're shooting at us."

Han leaned over to the copilot's station and stabbed a few buttons. "Nothing the shields can't handle."

"Oh, yeah, what about that?"

"What?" Han's eyes widened as a Trandoshan lifted an electromagnetic pulse launcher.

When the humongous lizard grinned, it revealed pointed teeth—similar to the toothy necklace around its collar. The alien aimed down the barrel and squeezed the trigger.

"Strap yourself in. We're taking off." Han flicked four switches and pulled on the yoke.

The Falcon's lights flickered as the shields absorbed the first wave. A frightful explosion of golden sparks rushed over the cockpit.

"Shields at twenty, Han." Leia's fingers dug into the console as she bit her lower lip. "One more hit, and we're done for."

She toggled a switch to open the hidden guns on the belly. When the Falcon lurched upward, she fired at the pirates. One flew backward on impact, and the others scattered for cover on the dock.

"Aim at their ships."

Leia adjusted her sights and targeted the nearest vessel, then shot. Her quarry erupted into white and red particles, bursting into a golden plume that shook the Falcon. The explosion encompassed the freighter's hull as it climbed through the debris.