Chapter 14 - Master Sessions

Playlist:

❶ "Rey Meets BB-8"—The Force Awakens OST

❷ "The Hologram/Binary Sunset" 2.15–4.08—A New Hope OST

❸ "Bounty Hunter's Pursuit"—Attack of the Clones Extended ST

❹ "Torn Apart" — The Force Awakens OST

Eyes shut, Luke balanced on his left leg, squatting, his right leg sticking out as a counterweight

Eyes shut, Luke balanced on his left leg, squatting, his right leg sticking out as a counterweight. For the next hundred heartbeats, he meditated on Hosnian Prime and the endless concerns that fought to keep him from being one with the Force. The dark side threatened to pull him into an inky cloud with all his worries.

The stress of founding the New Jedi Order when he barely felt trained himself battered against his wall of peace.

He breathed deeper.

The longing for a family, his own family, shrieked its curses at his unwitting vow of chastity.

He pushed those pressures away, allowing the Force to flow through him and calm him. Luke stretched his muscles as he meditated, holding his positions until the pain became the only stimulus he could sense.

A ghostly image diffused in front of him. A young man bathed in a mysterious blue glow grinned as Luke dropped into a seated position.

The man's towering figure bore a black uniform of a Jedi Knight from the Clone Wars. A wide belt secured his tunic above his leggings while a silver-hilted lightsaber swung from the belt. 

Clenching his right hand, a pang of regret passed through Luke when he remembered the last time he held that saber on Bespin. 

Luke focused on his father's younger face. It bore little resemblance to the deteriorated one under the mask. Maybe it's the hair. His face was so round, so old without it. 

Anakin's brown curls reached beyond the collar of his tunic, framing his angular face, softening it, making it more human than his distorted one could ever be. But a vertical scar that passed above and below his father's right eye grabbed his attention. The only visible scar, but how many other scars are underneath? Can I trust you, Father?

Anakin's piercing blue eyes bore into Luke's soul, spiking pride and love across the Force to him.

❶ Luke smiled in return, reciprocating his own affection to the man. "Father."

"Son." They both studied each other for a long, silent moment. "I never was any good at that."

"At what?"

"Meditating. I used to drive Obi-Wan to distraction." Anakin chuckled. "When I needed to clear my head, I preferred to be in a cockpit or on a bridge staring out at space."