Chapter 26 - Consuming Darkness

Playlist:

❶ "The Clone Army"—Attack of the Clones Extended ST

❷ "Palpatine's Teachings"—Revenge of the Sith OST

⊘ Silence

❶ Padawan Fau panted as each foot thudded on the dusty trail

❶ Padawan Fau panted as each foot thudded on the dusty trail. Huddled over and gasping, she fought back the bile creeping along her esophagus.

"Naluma! Keep going."

She smoothed the straying wisps of her dark hair and repinned her bun. "Coming, master."

A few steps later, she braced herself against a tree and spewed her lunch. After a few cycles, she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand and cleared the vile taste with a swig from her canteen.

She expected to hear another admonishment from Master Skywalker.

"When will you learn?"

She jumped at the proximity of his voice.

"A Jedi takes her strength from the Force. Strength. Endurance. Speed."

When another wave of exhaustion-induced nausea overcame her, he rubbed her back. The compassionate touch stirred something deep inside. She found herself scooching closer to him.

A steady stream flowed into her now. She didn't remember opening herself to the Force, but there was no denying the regenerative effects.

"Pull it from around you—the trees, the rocks—" Luke let go of her. "Wait! Not me."

"Sorry, master."

He nodded and jogged down the trail again. Within in a few paces, Naluma had caught up, matching her pace to his.

"Yes, pull from the Force, before you are tired. Control is easier when you have strength."

Easy for you to say.

She pursued him through the sosna trees, their untamed limbs brushing their faces. Their pungent fragrance filled the warm air, invigorating her.

A power hummed in the air between her and Master Skywalker. With each footfall, it resonated—she was sure she could touch it if she only reached out.

In front of her, he bounded into the air with a forward flip. His body rose at least five meters.

She bunched her legs and propelled her lithe body into a low tumble, barely recovering her pace as her knees buckled on the landing.

"Higher. The Force is with you. Use it."

"Yes, master." She huffed and brushed the dripping sweat from her brow.

Their pace increased, almost a sprint now. Aerial, sprint, two backflips, aerial.

"Good."

Blood rushed her face as a slight grin broached it.