Chapter 22 - Ghosts of the Past

Playlist:

❶ "Destiny of a Jedi"—The Rise of Skywalker OST

 Silence

Naluma found Master Luke lounging on a jump seat in the central cabin as he analyzed the results of her diagnostics

Naluma found Master Luke lounging on a jump seat in the central cabin as he analyzed the results of her diagnostics. He motioned for her to sit next to him.

He pointed out her scores as he tilted the datapad toward her. "Better than I thought." He smiled at her.

She glowed again with appreciation. Something in the center of her warmed. Lock it down, Naluma. You know this isn't allowed. She stared at her hands, attempting to will that sensation away. No matter her resolve, she could not stop glancing back at him out of the corner of her eye. A shy smile spread across her face.

Luke returned it, catching her eyes and blushing crimson red in return. He snapped his gaze to the datapad. "Hmm, I see we have some work to do in protocol and perhaps programming, and you know nothing about navigation?"

"Not air or space, but I can navigate on surfaces."

"You can take it tomorrow." He slid his fingers across the datapad. "As for flying, well, I'll teach you myself. What about coding?"

"Just rusty, I guess. A refresher course would help."

"Hungry?"

"Yeah." She rose and headed to the galley. "What do you want?"

"I can get my own food. You don't have to serve me."

She turned back and smiled. "Yes, I do. It's part of an apprenticeship."

He rolled his eyes before shutting down the datapad. While Naluma prepared a meal of poultry, grains, and greens in the galley, Luke leaned against the hatchway. "So, tell me about your last apprenticeship."

Her back tensed.

"It was in mechanics, wasn't it?"

"I thought the Jedi didn't read minds without permission." Naluma flailed the paring knife at him. "That information is not in my service record."

"Hey, it was a lucky guess. Your records indicate no training in electronics and mechanics, and yet you scored off the charts." Luke eyed the knife in her hand. "What I don't understand is why someone as gifted as you would not have used these talents in the military."

She glared at him. "That's on a need-to-know basis, and right now ... you don't need to know." The apprentice chopped the greens with fervor while biting her lip to restrain her tears.

Luke examined her for a few long moments. "So, how did you avoid any mention in your military record about it? Didn't they give you a diagnostic?"

"I failed it ... miserably." A lone, bitter tear streaked her face.