Chapter 8 - Not the Way You Think

Playlist:

❶ "Lesson One" 0.30–2.12—The Last Jedi OST

⊘ = Silence

❷ "Tales of a Jedi Knight/Learn About the Force (Medley)"—A New Hope OST

❸ "The Miracle of the Ark" 2.00–6.05—Raiders of the Lost Ark OST

A string of beeps jostled Luke from his meditation as the snub-nosed X-wing transitioned from hyperspace

"Artoo, I see it. Set an orbital path over the Holy City," he said into the comm. "Hey, when did maintenance say they'd finish the shuttle refit?"

The repair log scrolled down his screen.

"Four weeks, huh? Well, we have to be back by then anyway for the opening of the Senate."

The droid beeped a long string of binary code.

Luke twisted in his seat to stretch his legs. "Just a little cramped in here. X-wings weren't designed for long-distance comfort."

Artoo spurted a chuckle.

The small craft quaked as it passed into the atmosphere. Beads of sweat tickled his brow as the temperature climbed in the cabin. "More power to life support, Artoo."

The astromech droid chirped a query.

"I'm all right. Just a little hot as we cross the atmo barrier." Luke peered outside the canopy at the moon below. "Looks like a bunch of rocks and sand."

The droid spat out a string of beeps and whistles.

"Hey, watch your language. Holy City."

He could have sworn Artoo snorted.

"City mound is coming up fast. Run your scanners. See if there's a safe place to land." Luke banked the X-wing to the left to get a better visual on the objective.

A bright light flashed from the desert floor. "Ah!" He closed his eyes and turned his head away. He jerked the steering yoke, leveling off his approach. "What was that, Artoo?"

A long string of beeps and whirs ensued.

"Glass? The entire city is molten glass?" He hit the console with his fists. "How in the world are we going to get into the temple then?"

The little droid sighed and beeped.

"That's all right, Artoo." Luke inhaled deeply and began a meditation cycle while the X-wing continued its orbital flyover.

A few moments into his ritual, when the surface of Jedha was nothing more than a taupe blur, he felt it.

At first, it was no more than a tug—a pull he could not escape.

Something or someone was calling to him—no—singing to him. A beautiful melody with the clearest soprano voices. He could not distinguish the words or even the syllables, but the haunting tones chilled him.