Chapter 10 - The New Senate

Playlist:

❶ "The High Council Meeting and Qui-Gon's Funeral"—The Phantom Menace OST

❷ "Alliance Assembly" 0.50-2.11—Return of the Jedi Extended ST

"Why me?" Han cursed under his breath

"Why me?" Han cursed under his breath. Carbon freeze don't seem that bad right now.

Sparks erupted from the electrical panel, causing him to wince. The lights in the temporary Senate Hall on Hosnian Prime cut out once more and then flickered back to life. Han shoved his head inside the panel to look for the loose connection.

He grabbed the multimeter from his work belt and tested the circuit. "Hey, Chewie! I found it. Looks like we've got a burnout."

The Wookiee roared a question.

"Think I can." Han tugged a heavy lever which plunged them into murky darkness. By the light of a glowlamp, he extracted the faulty breaker and rewired the circuit.

He bent his head around the electrical panel and yelled, "Go ahead."

Chewie roared in agreement. When the Wookiee flicked the switch on the Rodian delegate's console, the display board lit up, and a chime echoed through the empty hall.

"Grea—" The electricity cut out again. Han hit the panel with his fist, and the power surged to life. "Leia's going to kill me if we don't get this working. Senate was due ten minutes ago."

Chewbacca growled.

"Well, at least it's something. Now try it." He kept one eye on the panel and the other on the display screen.

Chewbacca flicked the switch again. The monitor flared to life.

"Yeah, that's it ... you hunk of junk."

The Wookiee growled, but before Han could respond, Leia burst through the double doors of the hall. The babble of the senators in the foyer followed her.

"Han, is it working yet?"

He jerked his head and dropped the pilex driver.

Light streaming through the doorway glinted off the Fire of Hope pendant around her neck. Her white gown sashayed, the silk outlining the shape of her hips.

She closed the double doors behind her and slinked across the concrete floor, following the blurry beam of Han's glowlamp.

"Mon can't stall much longer."

"I think we've got it working ... sort of." Han grabbed her around the waist and planted a sloppy kiss on her lips.

"Han." Leia groaned. She straightened her dress and touched up her hair.