Chapter 70 - An Invitation

Playlist:

❶ "Marion's Theme"—Raiders of the Lost Ark OST

While grounded on Zaxyn so Naluma could undergo physical therapy, the Jedi Order spent their days in field medicine classes

While grounded on Zaxyn so Naluma could undergo physical therapy, the Jedi Order spent their days in field medicine classes. At night, they trained in the Force and academics, with a little time for socializing in the Jedi Enclave. The balmy weather led to campfires in the glade each night. Camaraderie and hijinks were never too far away.

Each week Luke attended the High Command Dinner in the Officer's Club as a guest of General Madine and his wife Zera. The general's wife epitomized class. Her blonde hair, coifed in tasteful curls on her head, framed her face and highlighted her gold hoop earrings. Her angular nose and blue eyes alluded to her tenacious drive, but her wicked sense of humor kept Luke guessing the true meanings behind her polite conversation.

At one of these dinners toward the end of the Jedi Order's stay on Zaxyn, Zera asked, "So, Master Skywalker, will you be attending the military ball? It's only three days away."

"What's it like? More of these High Command dinners?"

"Oh, no, it's a big formal affair. A cocktail hour, receiving line, banquet, and the dance. We ladies look forward to this evening all year," Zera said with a coy smile.

As he stroked his russet beard, General Madine asked, "Can I put you down? If you need an escort, I have some officers who are dying to meet you."

It would be nice to get away from the kids for once, even if Naluma wouldn't be able to dance. His eyes lit up at the thought of time with her, transforming his placid face into a goofy grin.  "Yes, I'd love to attend. But I don't need an escort." A broad smile and twinkling eyes replaced his grin. "Ma'am, where do the ladies get their evening wear? Is there a dress-shop on base?"

"Unfortunately not. Hosnian Prime is the closest. They have a wide selection," Zera said with a graceful wave of her hand. "One word of advice, though. Lean on the tasteful side for this event."

The next afternoon, after he had finished the field medicine class, Luke took a military transport to Hosnian Prime

The next afternoon, after he had finished the field medicine class, Luke took a military transport to Hosnian Prime. After spending three hours in five different shops, he had found plenty of formals but nothing that he would call tasteful.