Chapter 45 - The Jedi Mandate

Playlist:

❶ "Luke and Leia" — Return of the Jedi OST

 Silence

❶ The Senate summoned Master Skywalker to advise them about the dark creatures they had encountered on Telti

❶ The Senate summoned Master Skywalker to advise them about the dark creatures they had encountered on Telti. Naluma attended each meeting with him, hovering in the background. She acted as his adjutant, his bodyguard, and his personal medic.

Even though allocated their own box in the Senate Hall, the Jedi did not have voting powers. During these tedious sessions, Naluma scanned the hall for ill intent, keeping her Force senses open to any distress.

For Luke, these meetings tested his patience and brought unwanted exhaustion—illogical discussions and bickering, resulting in no actions taken.

After a few weeks of these senatorial meetings, Naluma's continual proximity to Luke stressed his resolve to honor the Jedi Mandate.

Maybe it was their being together all of their waking hours. Maybe it was their comfortable camaraderie. Maybe it was the intimacy generated during mindspeech. Or maybe it was that she was the only sane person in these meetings.

No matter the cause, Luke thoughts wandered to Naluma in every spare moment.

As she followed behind him back to their shuttle, Luke felt her Force senses scanning him. He breathed in deeply, dispelling the attraction that overwhelmed him.

She's not making it easy for me. Ever since the mission ... I wonder if she knows what she's doing to me every time our arms bump or she looks at me that way? And our Force-bond continues to strengthen. It's more difficult each day.

Face it, Skywalker, it's your problem, not hers. He clenched his teeth. Think back to the day you met her ... Ah, that's not helping. I need to get away from her. I need to re-center and focus my thoughts back to serving the galaxy and not obsessing about my Padawan every moment.

He stared at her for a moment. Her steel-gray uniform hugged her frame as her lightsaber swung at her side. Luke did not want to hurt her, but the Jedi Mandate was clear—Jedi must not form attachments.

He berated himself as they approached the landing bay. He could feel the battle against the light and the dark swelling in him now. He took a deep breath and decided to take action.

As soon as they had entered they shuttle, he said, "Naluma." Force, her name is so pleasant on my tongue.

"Yes, master?"

"We need to talk." He looked at the deck at first and then in her deep, black eyes. "About us."

Dread crossed her face. "Master?"

"Naluma, you know the Jedi Mandate ... we need some time apart." 

Her face fell in despair.