Chapter 12 - Padawan Program Postponed

Playlist:

❶ "Luke and Leia"—Return of the Jedi OST

❷ "Lesson One" 0.44–2.12—The Last Jedi OST

⊘ Silence

❸ "The Spark" 0.49–2.15—The Last Jedi OST

After spending a few weeks consumed in Senate debates, Leia sneaked away from the incessant bickering in a back corridor

After spending a few weeks consumed in Senate debates, Leia sneaked away from the incessant bickering in a back corridor. She rested her head against the corrugated steel wall and closed her eyes.

A prickle warned her. Not today. Please, not today.

The narrow passageway confined her—either back to the Senate or forward to meet her brother. Even at this distance, she could tell Luke was on a mission. She knew he was looking for her, for training.

She pivoted on her heel and bolted for the chamber.

"Leia, stop." The Jedi Master rested his hands on his hips and blocked the corridor.

She halted, glaring at her brother with her teeth clamped together.

"Lock it down, apprentice." He returned the glare.

"Luke, this is neither the time nor the place—" She reversed her path.

"Fine, my shuttle, tomorrow morning, 0600." He clenched his fists and narrowed his eyes. "Don't be late."

The senator marched out of the corridor with a fluttering in her chest. I have enough problems at home and in the Senate. Can't Luke see I need him as a brother, not as a Jedi Master? 

With a gurgle from her stomach, Leia pushed the thought from her mind and quickened her pace toward the refresher.

The next morning Leia rolled over and spewed into the receptacle Threepio had placed by the bed in the night. After wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, she glanced at the other side of the bed.

Han snored as drool dribbled down his chin.

Lovely. She grabbed the bin and hauled it to the commode. She groaned at the memory of her conversation with Luke and with the thought of Jedi training this morning. 0600 is too early. She pulled down the lids of her bloodshot eyes and splashed water on her face.